Um...Korina

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

uhh yes and no depending on your definition of plywood, seeing as there is a number of different so called "plywoods," as for the grain run the opposite way in the maple that dont sound too good to me who knows ill pass on it thank you very much

MzI

I'm still new... and ignorant... but I thought the ratio of maple to korina in that particular piece would make that thing fairly heavy and also snappy-sounding? Or have I learned nothing as a padawan apprentice?

Greg

Well, I wouldn't call it plywood but it does appear as though the Korina parts are not one-piece. You probably noticed that also, yes? So, what you have is a three piece Korina body blank with a little maple in the middle which may or may not affect anything in terms of the sound. For $10.00, I guess it's worth a try but on the other hand, that $10.00 (plus shipping) could go toward a more solid Korina blank.

Litch - I don't know how you manage to keep buying supplies? It seems like every week or two, you've got a new project started. How do you do it?

I'm dum. It's the maple that's the small piece-- it shouldn't be overly heavy that way.... or at least not moreso than a big slab of Korina is in the first place. ;-)

That would make a great Ibanez Saber or Radius body, or Soundgear bass because the contours would reveal the maple stripe around the sides. As a matter of fact, if you carved and radiused the edges right, it could even look like maple body binding. The only thing that upsets me is the cross graining. There's no reason for it. So now if you use a rub-on stain, it will be darker on the Maple sides (endgrain) and then darker on the Korina top and bottom. At least if it was all parallel you'd have uniform color variances. So you'd want to do a spray on tint or something. Perhaps a sunburst, but then you wouldn't see the maple line as well, if at all. It's intriguing, but moreso it's making me want to make a blank like that myself with parallel grains, and maybe with a bigger contrast, like walnut and maple. Plus, with that kind of laminate, why not hollow out the maple part? You could hollow the maple and carve the top and back out from the inside to end up with a hollow core like the Ibanez Maxxas. Man I'm really thinking about this now.

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars
Litch - I don't know how you manage to keep buying supplies? It seems like every week or two, you've got a new project started. How do you do it?

Unemployment.