Thinking about a pickup swap....

Bow

Hey all,

I have a '93 American Standard Strat which I like a lot. It has the TBX Tone control for the bridge pickup which really helps to give it more balls on teh bridge pickup.

I have been considering building up a new pickguard to put into it and was wondering if anyone can give me their thoughts on the Lace Sensor Pickups.

I am probably going to use a new pearloid pickguard, load in a TBX Tone into the bridge tone slot and maybe one into the middle/neck tone slot. and of course Volume and 5 way switch.

I am going to keep my stock pickguard stock and just store it.

But Any thoughts about Lace Sensors and or 2 TBX tone controls? :D

Thanks

mid-80's Eric Clapton.... when he started playing the Fender custom shop models...

I would say Richie Sambora, but I am not routing my American Made Strat for a humbucker and a floyd Rose! :D

The EC signatures had Lace Sensors up till 2001 - that and the TBX should get you pretty close, I'm just not sure how much different it'll sound from what you've got now. I like the sound of the Laces (or at least the lower noise), but lots of folks hate 'em. I don't think they sound a lot better (or even incredibly different) from stock Str*ts. You might want to check out Fralins or Rio Grandes for some other options, and Bill Lawrence makes some replacements that I like a lot also. Or if you've got unlimited cash, get the EMG DG setup, and you'll have more switches than you could ever ask for.

Well, cash is always a problem. I can justify spending hundreds on mods to sit and play in my spare bedroom! LOL

I think I will look for some Lace Sensor Golds, I think that is the ones the Clapton sig model used. I hope I can find some used...

My '93 already has the TBX controler on the bridge tone, I just want a setup to give my Strat some more volume and balls...

I thought a new pickguard with different pickups and a TBX in both TONE slots would be an interesting mod...

I just want a setup to give my Strat some more volume and balls...

You might consider an onboard preamp like the StratoBlaster - it'll boost your signal, which should give you what you're looking for, and it should be a lot cheaper than a new pickguard assembly. Drak uses a preamp in his builds, he could probably tell you where he's getting his, or you could build your own StratoBlaster using the pc board from General Guitar Gadgets (the board is I think $7.00, and components might run another $20.00). Or holler at Ansil, he's probably got something on his bench that might work. The point is, if you're only looking for more volume/"balls", you just need a preamp/booster. HTH

cool, thanks for the info!

I was maybe thinkingof a change. After 11 years with this thing, I was thinking it could use a "Tone makeover".

I really dig the mid 80's to late 80;s Clapton tone, that is why I was thinking about the Lace Sensors.

If you're talking the tone from say Money and Cigarettes or Behind the Sun, that sounds pretty stock Str*t to me (although EC does play one well) - if you mean that Journeyman sound, there's tons of wah pedal on those guitar tracks. No offense meant, and please don't think that I'm just being insulting, but you've probably got the sounds you want already - I'd try tweakin' knobs and varying technique before I invested in new pickups.