My latest inlay- orchids for an acoustic

Hi guys.

I just finished this up. It's on an acoustic headstock veneer that needs to be fitted and edged, but it is set up to the headstock pattern. Of course it will look better when it's attached, but I don't have that job.. This is the last I will see of it except for hopefully good finished pics after the entire guitar is built.

The pieces that look like they are floating out of nowhere will seem like they are coming out into the headstock from the very edge.

Thanks for looking.

Craig

finishedorchidheadstock%20(Small).jpg

finishedtwigdetail%20(Small).jpg

Materials include:

Pink mussel shell

black pearl

gaspeit stone

Sugalite stone

Yellow spiny oyster

Mother of pearl

Red coral

obsidion stone

It's also engraved in white, red and black

41 pieces total. The fretboard is getting a matching hummingbird scene, and it's then headed to the GAL show in Washington State.

Thanks guys!

C lavin

Thanks. I saw your site as well. Your guitars look great. That shell style inlay looks good too. Keep it up.

We are both displaying at the first world guitar congress. I'll make sure to stop by if I can.

Craig.

:D Wooahh!!! That's superb, and you've nailed the shape of the flower - most people make Cattleya hybrids look like daffodils. I love the color shading - it's like an oil painting. Another superlative effort - it should be the hit of the GAL show.

I love the color selection - it will certainly turn heads at the show. Great work!

Is the brownish color in the green areas part of the stone/material or did you add it yourself? I'll try to explain better if you're not sure what I mean.

Thanks again guys.

The brown streaks are part of the Gaspeit. You can also get "yellow" gaspeit, which is the same green color without the brown streaks. I didn't know that until after this inlay, but the next time I do leaves I am using that variety. I rather use this version for turtle grass and things that look like they have life epizoa, etc.. growing on them.

The head of the ladybug is engraved and filled with engraving ink. You can also use epoxy but you will have to do extra work sanding away the excess. I would never use epoxy to fill an engraving to rough with the sanding process. Some people use sho polish as filler, others just inks, and then seal the lines with liquid CA, and then lightly sand off the excess. I thught about adding the black dots to it, but at the size it is is would only make it less red, and more of a mess. I have seen pure red ladybugs (actually the real name is ladybird beetle) so I'm not too upset!

Craig.

I like the brown in there.

When you engraved the ladybug - how did you avoid "lines" from engraving in the main body area? In other words - I visualize that as carving out a bowl - like area but when using a graver tool - it tends to leave many lines from where the material is removed. What did you use for this? Do you know what I mean?

You do get lines. I engrave with an onglette graver, it gives me the best control. It has a very fine point. You have to make sure your cuts are deep enough that whatever filler you use to fill the cuts in will be above the lines. Then, if you fill the cuts and there are still lines you have to go back in again and grave those lines away. It takes time. Engraving is not a fast process. It's the definition of tediouse.

Eventually you get a solid looking engraved area.

Craig

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks. I saw your site as well. Your guitars look great. That shell style inlay looks good too. Keep it up.

We are both displaying at the first world guitar congress. I'll make sure to stop by if I can.

Craig.

I will definitely check out you inlay work as well. See you there!

Clavin,

What I'm about say I hope you take very seriously. Write a book, not only are you talented at what you do, but you explain it in a way that even people who know squat about inlay art can understand. Seriuously, I know a forum full of people who would be your first customers too! :D

Thanks so much for your comments.

I don't know if I could write a book, I just don't have the time. Has the forum suggested a symposium, with actual classes? I know it would be a lot to organize, and that this is really the goal of the site, however a Project Guitar week long get together with different classes and speakers would be as big a draw I believe as any other guitar builders show, especially since the others ( ASIA, as well as others) cater almost exclusively to acoustic builders.

I would be willing to teach a class on inlay, if sponsored.

Craig Lavin

Yes you can. It's called piercing. It's a common way of getting pieces into other pieces in inlay, such as the ladybug. It's a piece pf coral inset into a cut out hole in the gaspeit. I drilled the gaspeit with a tiny bit, and put the blade through and inside cut the hole, then filtted the coral piece from the existing pattern.

Craig Lavin