Next Project help

Now with my first project out of the way, its time for a new one, im going to make...................a strat. but its not going to be your average strat:

its going to have:

Standard strat body but with no contours,

Black binding

Flame orange/red/yellow maple top,

Two humbuckers

tune o matic through body bridge

maple neck white or black binding (to be decided, what do you think?)

now i dont know what wood do use for the body, and also whever to have a through neck body, whats the advandages and disadvantages of through necks?

any commednts would be help ful please! :D

edison.jpg

That would be a really cool guitar. if you had a through neck i dont think you could have the flamed top. Supposedly through necks add to the sustain of the instrument, where as a bolt on neck can be replaced and vice versa. On a through neck if pickups are placed too close to the neck it can make it weak.

Thats all i can think of for now.

Oh i think it would be really cool if you put some effects in the guitar like a whammy switch.

:D

use whatever wood you want, best recommendation is to copy the wood in a particular guitar u like sound wise, neck thrus, id say its personal preference, some say it gives more sustain, but ive also heard that all proper neck joints when built correctly will give a decent amt of sustain whether they are bolt on set or neck thru, another thing about the neck thru is it is goin to take a lot more planning that takes place sectionally, other then that id say that the heel will be fairly small allowing for damn good fret access to the upper frets

MzI

why cant you have a top on it with a maple top?????????????, if you have a good connection through all the wood you should have no problem, my current project im workin on has a 3/8" maple top on a mahogany back with a neck thru, id suggest askin sumone that has actual experience with the subject matter tho

MzI

Im with you MzI.. I have a made a maple toped neck trhu bass with no problems, it is just a bit tricky deciding how you want to make the fret board jive with the whole thing, floating or butted against the top, or sort of scooped dow into it like warwick does.

my first bass was a neck through I do not see what the big deal is, it was not very complicated.. but you do have to make sure that your plans will actually work.

peace,

Ryan

if your gonna buy a neck thru start looking, itll take you awhile, i had one made for me and then got screwed over with it, but i did get my money back luckily

btw its much easier to find premade bolt ons, no so much set necks

MzI

You can buy a 24 fret 25" scale neck thru from Carvin. Obviously, not exactly up to strat specs, but you won't have to worry about quality problems from someone else or yourself if you don't feel you're up to building a neck yourself.

why cant you have a top on it with a maple top?????????????, if you have a good connection through all the wood you should have no problem, my current project im workin on has a 3/8" maple top on a mahogany back with a neck thru, id suggest askin sumone that has actual experience with the subject matter tho

MzI

my pinned neck thru tutorial is incomplete...but i did detail how to install a figured maple top on it...check it out