my new air norton

Joey

Well my air norton came today and I finally got it all installed correctly, its a miracle, I didnt think I could do it! :D So anyway, I cant really tell all that much difference... I can tell its clearer and more defined/articulated than my stock ibanez (from an rg320dx)... but does it take time to really tell all the differences? I heard that you really wont be able to hear a whole lot of difference right away, but the more you play it, the better the change will sound to you. I hope that's right... anyone else experience something similar???

yes, new pickups seem to sound different to you after a while. when i first got my guitar and started playing, i couldn't hear any difference between the different positions. But then i got a duncan SH-11, and i could hear a little difference. now that i'm used to it, i can easily see how the bridge position sounds different from the neck position, and how the new pickup sounds different from the old one

Well. Ive had some time with my new pickups.

Amazing.

I have the Air Norton in the Neck, and the FRED in the bridge. I have 2 SPDT switches for the 2 pickups, so I can select them individually. Its different. Its cool. Very 80's. Built in kill switch.

Instead of a tone knob, I just got a DPDT ON/off/ON switch, and wired a Metal Film .22 to one side, and a Ceramic .01 to the other. So I have a 2-tone switch instead of a 1 tone pot.

sorry for the thread hyjacking, but I had to tell someone. . .im so excited.

The Air Norton is a lovely pickup. Its FAT as a burger, even with GHS 10's, it makes them sound MUCH thicker, like I was playing 13's or something.

I have a very Satch-like tone. Its nice.

Yeah the norton is pretty fat, and phat... har har.. :D Im thinking of getting either a tone zone or a steve's special for bridge... but that will come later. Do those resistor things you solder to the pots make a big difference? Im thinking of getting one, are they easy to install, like just hook em to the tone knob?

Edit: What exactly do those SPDT things do? Are they for selecting different PU combo's?

Yeah and Im kind pissed at my guitar... I cant for the life of me get the intonation right, and the stupid bridge keeps snapping strings when I tighten the little screw that holds the end of the string in... I cant win. I cant win.... and its not like I havent done this before. I dunno whats up, this damn air norton must be bad luck, plus I cant really even tell much of a difference in tone w/it :D

Yeah the norton is pretty fat, and phat... har har.. :D Im thinking of getting either a tone zone or a steve's special for bridge... but that will come later. Do those resistor things you solder to the pots make a big difference? Im thinking of getting one, are they easy to install, like just hook em to the tone knob?

Edit: What exactly do those SPDT things do? Are they for selecting different PU combo's?

Resistor Values? There are no resistors on my guitar. Are you talking about the Treble bleed mod? The work fairly well. I like not having though, i like having just a normal pot, and the natural decay of a standard pot.

The Capacitors I have on the switch do the same thing as a fully turned tone knob. I have 2 different capacitors, the .22 makes the sound very dark, and the .01 takes off just a little, smoothing things up and making almost a half-open wah tone, and harmonics are left intact. I think its much better than a tone pot.

The SPDT switch is just a switch that has one pole, it only performs one function. I have 2 of them, the FRED soldered to one of them, and the Air Norton soldered to the other. So I have independent pickup selection, and I can turn them both off at the same time, for a built in killswitch.

The switches I got from Radio Shack (the great ripoff), and they dont completely cut off sound. So when I turn off both pickups, your sound can still be heard very faintly. But it still doesnt make noise.

Yeah and Im kind pissed at my guitar... I cant for the life of me get the intonation right, and the stupid bridge keeps snapping strings when I tighten the little screw that holds the end of the string in... I cant win. I cant win.... and its not like I havent done this before. I dunno whats up, this damn air norton must be bad luck, plus I cant really even tell much of a difference in tone w/it :D

Perhaps you have a rough spot on your bridge saddles. Maybe you should look into buying some graphtech saddles.

Perhaps you have a rough spot on your bridge saddles. Maybe you should look into buying some graphtech saddles.

Graphtech eh? I'll look into that, thanks.

Another note on sound

It takes a while to find the "sweet" spots on your amp and your volume and tone on your guitar....once you find those the new pickup will bring euphoria

Even after several months finding a new sound that you didn't think you could get is really nice

Another note on sound

It takes a while to find the "sweet" spots on your amp and your volume and tone on your guitar....once you find those the new pickup will bring euphoria

Even after several months finding a new sound that you didn't think you could get is really nice

Yeah I know exactly what you mean... Ive found some cool sounds with the air norton... Im pretty happy with it.