removing the stop-tailpiece studs

since i am refinishing my les paul copy, i have to remove all the hardware, BUT the bridge/stop tailpiece mounting studs are stuck there.

how are they installed ? press-fit ?!

i cannot figure a way to remove them without damaging the top of the body

anyone ?

Put the screws back into the studs, just need a few threads in, and pull them out. You might have to do a little bit of gentle rocking. If they are really tight and won't budge, put a piece of wood with a piece of soft cloth under it right beside the post. Then slowly lever the stud out with a claw hammer.

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

Are they superglued in? Some tomes they are. I say plug the holes like said unless you want a solid color. The pull and fill. If they are superglued, they're gonna splinter a bit.

If uses a hammer to pry them out and it works wells with very minimal damage, just be careful and use a cloth or something to portect the guitar.

I had to remove some studs today and the whole soldering iron thing didn't work. I thought the claw hammer thing was a bit dumb, but I had no other choice. I used a little crow bar type thing. You know, the flat kind. I put a rag on the on guitar, then a little block of wood. I then used the crow bar to pry out the screws which where in the studs. The popped out nice and easy. There was no damage to the guitar at all.