question about templates

A template is generally something of a pattern that you can use to guide a tool so you can replicate parts. Router templates will most often make use of a bearing guide on the bit that follows the template and routes whatever part to the same shape. Here is a picture of one of my templates for a semi-hollow body guitar:

05.jpg

Hey Myka, are you using 3/4" MDF for your templates? Also have you ever thought about transferring those templates to acrylic? Just wondering since you obviously build more than just one guitar from a template, it is my experience that an MDF template wears down a lot faster than one made from acrylic. At work, I just recently transferred all my speaker size templates from MDF to acrylic and it just makes things a whole lot more exact for some reason... :D

Hey Myka, are you using 3/4" MDF for your templates? Also have you ever thought about transferring those templates to acrylic?

Yes I am, and yes I have! This guitar is actually a prototype. If it works out the way I am wanting it to I will transfer them to acrylic or aluminum. For a quick fix I will use shellac on the edges of the MDF. It lasts a while longer that way. Acrylic is best though. Thanks~!

acrylic that thick is pretty expensive, at least the stuff that cuts instead of melting when you try to cut it with a router or saw...

i like acrylic for bridge, pickup, and neck pocket routs since those are the ones i like to get the most accurate, and scribing a line on one side of plexi glass is much more accurate then a pencil line IMO

You can pick up acrylic up to about an inch thick... you can try Here although they can be quite expensive. I know you can find it cheaper, but I order here because I use a lot of the other stuff and HEY!!!! It's the boss's dime :D

OH also... Maybe it's just me being picky, but I keep two flush trim bits... one for wood, one for acrylic/plexi. same thing with my other bits. I never mix them. I don't know why, but they just cut better that way...