Gibson Moderne

In case no one noticed, this thread had been untouched since May this spring.

I've heard that the Moderne really was uncomfortable to play sitting down...it just slid off your leg and was too narrow in the body for comfort....there was probably a reason that it never went into production originally....

Now...you never here of people desiring to make a Gibson "can-opener" styled CORVUS (circ 1983) now do you....

gibson-corvus-1983-2.jpg

You got to admire Gibson for trying out new stuff but I think this goes into the "what were they thinking" bin.... :D

The Moderne is actually quite comfortable to play whilst seated.

Forgot to mention my copy also has a tummy contour, like a Strat.

As for the Corvus... I like it! Did that have a bolt on neck? I have an epi neck sitting idle, from a Les Paul junior i think. Hmmm, could be a project!

Pete :D

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 1983 Moderne re-issue, purchased used from Sam Ash in NYC in 1984. I loved the shape then and still do... Gumby headstock and all!

It's definitely comfortable to play while seated -- certainly better than my mahogany LP standard. The korina's light weight makes for perfect neck/body balance and it does not slide around. Although I do wish all Gibsons had tummy contours or at least more rounded-over edges.

The earlier comment about the headstock poor design is partly true. I don't think the string break-angles are such a big deal, but the tuners feel loose and sloppy.

My only real complaint is that, although it sounds warm and bluesy through an amp, the light korina body seems to suck out certain notes, like the open G string! The uneven body response just feels weird.

I'm planning to build a clone of my Moderne or more likely a variant based on a Jackson Kelly/Warlock using a heavier wood like alder or possibly maple.

(This is my first post here. What a great resource!)

Now...you never here of people desiring to make a Gibson "can-opener" styled CORVUS (circ 1983) now do you....

gibson-corvus-1983-2.jpg

You got to admire Gibson for trying out new stuff but I think this goes into the "what were they thinking" bin.... :D

Those guitars got a bum rap. I have one and it's a really nice guitar. Great for Punk/Grunge type stuff.

Hey Scott.

Can you tell me if your Corvus has a bolt on neck?

And how well does it balance when you stand?

I'm assuming Ash body, Maple neck.

Pete :D