Gibson Moderne

Anyone have specs on the gibson moderne

it was originnally prototyped wiht the flying v's in the 50's but rumor has it they never even made a prototype, but then gibson made some reisues in the 80's

it looks kinda like a flying v exceptits rounded at the bottom so its easier to play sitting

wait, a pictures woirth a thousand words so

http://www.garysguitars.com/product_pics/207c.jpg

every now and then they pop up on ebay, the 80s reissues, supposedly they did make prototypes in the 50s most sought after guitars ever they get more then the original flying v's, as for specs, do u mean like number of frets scales, etc or like body size and what not, for body size id start with the cad file of the 67 flying v which can be found on guitarbuild.com and go from there as for hardware scale electronic type specs its most liekly typical gibson 24 3/4 scale 22 fret, korina body 57 ri pickups

MzI

theres like 5 on ebay right now... or was that 2

well it looks strange like that one in the link looks like it has a one bolt neck atachment.

well i need like specs for hardware and scale length and whatnot.

but this is way on the future list after the guitar m working on now ( a wide necked strat) and maybe a bass but its stll good to have some info

thats not a single bolt thats a strap button, gibson places there strap buttons on the back of the neck seeing as there is no horn like a strat has, scale length is 24 3/4 as goes for all gibsons cept the baritones they just came out with, 22 frets, set neck, 2 humbuckers gibson brand i think they put paf's in them not totally sure, that can be up to you tho, gibson abr-1 tunematic with gibson stop piece, vol vol tone w/ 3 way right angle toggle, mono input jack, most liekly bone nut, kluson tuners i believe gibson uses that or grovers, body is make of white korina, not totally sure on the fret board, most liekly its rosewood, gibson only uses ebony to my knowledge on lp customs, not totally sure on that tho, i think thats about it, if you need anything else just ask

MzI

This I got from George Gruhn-in the 50's,(51 I think)Gibson was said to have made and shipped 110 Moderne's.But they've never appeared anywhere.The one that did sell at auction was later pronounced not authentic by Gruhn himself.

Someone did claim to have shipping documents but that was later debunked.

As far as anyone can tell the Moderne was made en masse in 1986,(I think it was later re-issued in the 90's).

It appears to have been no more than an idea on paper in the 50's with perhaps a prototype or even a mock-up made.But as far as I ever heard that piece hasn't surfaced either.

It was supposed to have been an evolution to the V.

I worked at a shop that had one,to be honest it was an awful guitar.It had a strange feel to the body and it sounded flat.The splaying of the strings at the head,(which was small),really caused some tuning problems.It was a high maintenance piece.

And the case had an awful pink satin lining.

• 6 months later...

Here is what I get from Terry Burrows' book "Guitar".

"The Moderne was the third design in Gibson's futuristic revamp of 1958. (First two were the Flying V and Explorer) But unlike the Flying V, on which the top half of the body is clearly styled, the Moderne didn't even make it to the production line at that time. It was a growing interest in original models that prompted Gibson to launch a reissue model in 1983."

So if you actually find a 1958 Moderne prototype it is very rare indeed! :D

Edited by Southpa

The patent site has high resolution TIFF drawings available, but I can't find the patent. I too, love the moderne and want to build a replica. Here are some links with good stuff:

http://www.ibanezregister.com/images/image...dernePatent.gif

http://www.allduff.com/sights_gibsonmoderne.htm

http://classifieds.aol.com/listing/details...tingid=B1913343

I wish I could find the patent #. Maybe one of you guys can figure it out?

• 6 months later...

I have a Moderne copy. Must have been around '79 or '80 when I bought it.

Made by "H.S. Anderson", a name I hadn't heard before or since.

The only real difference to the Gibson design is the headstock shape. My guitar has a headstock shaped like a Les Paul, rather than the flared shape on the Gibson (I like the look of mine better). Originally came fitted with mini humbuckers, but they were so weak i swapped them out for a couple of DiMarzios.....Super 2s in both positions. This required some routing for the full size humbuckers. The guitar was quite dark sounding before this but after installing the Dimarzios it really roared! (with a guitar this shape your main goal is to vaporize the front three rows with carpet bombing riffage!)

It's painted black, so I have no idea what woods were used in its construction, The body wood is a very deep red/brown (solid, not ply), No clue what the neck is. Fingerboard is very dark, almost black like ebony, but this may be a stained finish as it seems to be wearing through to a lighter colour.

Set neck, Schaller tuners, Les Paul style brige and tailpiece. Build quality is pretty good, comparable to my Antoria (Ibanez) Flying V, although the frets could have been better dressed.

Sadly, the guitar hasn't been used in a looong time. I scrounged one of the pickups for use in another guitar. I'm planning on refinishing it in white with gold hardware and bring it back to life!

Pete

:D