Roundover bit

jay5

my squire tele has 5/32" radius round over on the edges, i'm not sure if that's the official size though it's probably close enough, 1/8" or 3/16" radius would also be fine.. unless you're going for authenticity you don't have to be supper picky about it personally i find that the edges of the guitar dig into my pick arm and my chest a bit to much for my liking, if i ever do work on that guitar i'll probably round those 2 areas are bit more, probably to 1/2" radius or so and then just blend (sand the transition) to the regular bevel around the rest of the guitar

For my last strat type project I used a 1/4" roundover bit too. It does give a sharper look and is still comfortable. Totally agree there.

I wouldn't go any more than 1/2". Even though that's probably the standard for a strat, I sometimes think it makes them look too round.

Someone asked about this a long time ago and I kept forgetting to check my Erlewine video. I took a look at it recently since I was doing a strat-type body and he recommends a 3/8" roundover bit (with guide bearing of course). I used it last week and I like the way it turned out. Go slowly through the areas where tear out is likely to happen. You'll get some burning but it can be sanded out very easily and it's much better than getting chunks torn out of the body. Also, you might not want to use it near the neck pocket - stop short and do that area by hand.

I don't know if a Tele uses the same radius as a Strat - the above info is for a strat-style body.

Someone asked about this a long time ago and I kept forgetting to check my Erlewine video. I took a look at it recently since I was doing a strat-type body and he recommends a 3/8" roundover bit (with guide bearing of course). I used it last week and I like the way it turned out. Go slowly through the areas where tear out is likely to happen. You'll get some burning but it can be sanded out very easily and it's much better than getting chunks torn out of the body. Also, you might not want to use it near the neck pocket - stop short and do that area by hand.

I don't know if a Tele uses the same radius as a Strat - the above info is for a strat-style body.

Ah memories. I had a huge chunk tear out when I was going around the upper horn. I had to pick up the wood and glue it back in. :D

Indeed, go slowly and dont remove too much wood in one pass! I couldn't agree more.

As for the radius of the round over, I have no clue what the measurement is. I suspect that I am dead wrong about 1/2". A 3/8" round over sounds more realistic. I'll have to measure tonight when I get home. B)