Bare bones finishing??

Im soon hoping to have made my first guitar :D , but i'm not keen on any sort of finish at all. So i'm wondering how little treatment can i give to my fretboard/headstock/body/neck and get away with it. I'm planning a natural bare wood image, so how many coats (if any) of laquer or whatever will i need to make sure the wood is safe?

Also, I'm souping up a squier affinity strat ( B) ) for a friend, and im getting one of my art student friends to put a JemFP style finish on it. It will also be bare wood (i will sand off all the laquer and finish crap). How much body treatment to i need to give it before and after she does the artwork (and are there any specific paints she should use/steer clear of?)

Cheers, Henry.

If the original finish is still decent, just leave it alone, sand it out with 600 and use that for your seal base. You won't get a better wood seal than the factory finish. if it's got just one or two little chips, fill them and still use the original finish as a base. Otherwise, if you strip to wood, you have to reseal and prime the body again first. The factory finish is the best primer you'll ever find.

On the first question You can get away with just a single coat if you like of sanding sealer or even a clearcoat. It just depends on how much you want to maintain the body down the line. Some people skip it all together and just rub Tung oil on the wood to help preserve it and keep it from absorbing dirt over time.

As far as the art work goes, either stick with the factory finish like LGM said or put at least a couple of coats of sanding sealer on it and smooth it out so she has a flat canvas to work with. The top coat really will depend on the media she uses do paint it on with.

first of all, I don't use sanding sealer, I seal all electric bodies with clear high solids Poly Urethane. sand it out nice and flat, and then yes, absolutely use primer before I spray any color afterwards. If I can use the factory finish for my seal, then I just sand that out, and prime on there first.