Neck Angle w/wraparound bridge?

Do I need to route the 14.5 degree angle if I use a wraparound badass/PRS style bridge? Are there any easy ways to route for this angle.. like pre-made jigs or something? I have a nice solid Rosewood body that I don't feel like messing up.

whoa...14.5 degree angle....

I THINK you have NECK angle confused with HEADstock angle.

Neck angles are generally between 1-3 degrees.

Headstock angles can range from 0-13 (or even more prolly)

Oh to get around making a neck angle..you can recess the bridge a bit. I'm not sure if u can with the wraparound PRS stle bridge...but I know the other TOM and stopbar pieces can be recessed (I think Wessomeone) did that with one of his Vs.

Oh to get around making a neck angle..you can recess the bridge a bit. I'm not sure if u can with the wraparound PRS stle bridge...but I know the other TOM and stopbar pieces can be recessed (I think Wessomeone) did that with one of his Vs.

You may be right, in fact, I'm almost positive you are. lol

Anyway, anyone know a good method or have measurements for the recess?

yes i am wessomeone,and i did that...

Are there any easy ways to route for this angle.. like pre-made jigs or something?

LaFeeVerte, it isn't that difficult to route the neck angle. I made a pretty simple jig for this. Here is a web page I put up for it: Neck Route Jig

You can also make a template for the neck pocket and shim it to the right anlge by clamping it to the body. Then route it with a bearing template bit.

Although it is a valid method I just don't like the look of the recessed bridges. It looks like the bridge was not made for the guitar and was an afterthought. Just my opinion. Hope this post helps.

~David

You may be right, in fact, I'm almost positive you are. lol

Anyway, anyone know a good method or have measurements for the recess?

nope....

i just plan on recessing all my bridges :D

I like the look of both. On the Godin LG, the recessed bridge looks really sharp. I'm still a bit undecided atm. If you were super-meticulous, you could rout the recess to *exactly* accomodate the bridge, and it would look like it was meant to be.

Greg

If you were going for a jig like Myka's, i put together a little calculation for simplicities sake so that you dont need to mess around judging angles:

As a side note, im hoping this will work to my benefit aswell when i come to angling the neck. If anyone sees any mistakes please point them out.

(hope this looks ok)

BACK OF BODY FRONT OF BODY

| ----------------_____________

X | --------------_________ angle here

|___________________________________________________________

| |

Y | Place body here |

|___________________________________________________________|

L

Y is the height you have of wood at the front of the body supporting the top (probably around the height of the guitar)

X is the extra height at the back of jig

L is the length of the jig

put the angle you want into the formula:

tan <angle> x L = X

for a 3 degree angle for example, with a 1m long jig this works out to 5cm heigher at the back than the front.

i.e. not very much.

im sure you dont need to be as accurate, its just to give you an idea. i could see myself overestimating it and ending up with like a 10 degree angled neck :D

B)

"

BACK OF BODY                                     FRONT OF BODY

|------------_________

X  |                      -----------_____ angle here

|____________________________________

|                                    |

Y  |              Place body here       |

|____________________________________|

L

"

perhaps easier to understand with the drawing.

use a set length L and height Y (which is the height of the jig at the front) then use the formula:

tan <angle> multiplied by L = X

X being the height above Y for the back of the jig

Note: tan is the button on a scientific calculator saying tan.

that should give you the correct height for the jig to get a specific angle

:D

Thanks for all the great replies/tips! Haven't been on in a few days to check, but now that I did, I'm very grateful for the help! :-)

It's not perfect... but.... I recessed the posts on mine by a couple of mm so that they sit flush with the body and put a slight shim under the neck and the action is pretty much perfect. I did make te neck pocket slightly more shallow than usual though.

Angling the neck would be the best option, I just didn't want to make a mess of it after spending a month on the body! Who dares wins!