Typical thickness

I am starting me first guitar. I have a few questions. What is the typical thickness of the body?? I am planning on have mahogany back (what is a good thickness for that) and a walnut top (what would be a good thickness for that)

Thanks for the info!!

I suppose the thickness would depend on the style of guitar that you are building.

I know for Strats a typical body thickness is around 1 3/4". I have two that are slightly more or less, 1 7/8" and 1 5/8", and they are still rather good bodies. A standard Strat neck is typically carved from a 1" thick piece of hard maple if it's a one piece neck, or 1/4" fretboard with a 3/4" maple neck if its a 2 piece.

Given the wood choices I would gander that you are considering more of a LP type. No clue about those measurements.

Hello!

I think that the solidbody guitar body thickness varies a lot. There are no standard mesurements, but comun mesurements. From my experience, I think that guitar with less than 4 cm thickness are obviously lighter, but also less deep sounding (depending on the wood, yes, this is generaly speaking) and guitars with more tham 5 cm thicknes will be deeper sounding and obviously heavier. The balance betwin these two mesurements will prove to be the best for overall playability in sound and confort.

I sugest you to choose what fits you better. The guitar's shape is not directly dependent of its thickness!

This is the overaal guitar thickness talk, now if the problem is the wood layers' thickness, well, I've seem many many things, and that dependes a big lot on your visual and musical sound likes and deslikes.

Hope to have helped in something...

I am starting me first guitar. I have a few questions. What is the typical thickness of the body?? I am planning on have mahogany back (what is a good thickness for that) and a walnut top (what would be a good thickness for that)

Thanks for the info!!

using a floyd...generally about 1 7/8"...this gives more room for the two sided routing required

i have gone as thin as 1 1/2" for a fixed bridge guitar....and as thick as 2 1/4"