Depth of Chambering

Hi there,

I have my chambering template ready now, but I'm not sure how deep to go. The wood is 1 3/4" thick limba, which will have a 5/8" carved maple cap over it. As far as I know, Korina and Limba are the same thing.

Given the type of wood (porous but dense), how thin should I leave the back? Or conversely, how deep should I go with the chambering. If I decide to carve the back as well, I'll take that into account, but assuming I leave it flat, what's a good thickness?

Greg

Not one person knows? :D

Well, I went ahead and started, leaving myself about 1/2" just to be safe. I figured if someone posted that a lower value was good, I could always go a bit deeper.

So far, just for the body and top (not routed, contoured, or carved yet) I'm weighing in at around 8 pounds. Gah.. that's not even including the neck. I'm hoping to take some more wood away to get that weight down.

My 'walls' are about an inch thick, which I can probably safely bring down another 1/4" and still have the 'excess' amount I wanted.

On the other hand, maybe I'm just going to end up with a back-breaker. B)

Greg

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

I typically leave a 1/4 in wall or floor, because you will have a lot of finish sanding and dont want to go thru. Likely, it will be 3/16 when you are done.

I was thinking 1/4" sounded about right. The way it is right now, once all the hardware is on, plus finishing materials, it'll weigh in at around 9 lbs, which is about the same as a heavyish Les Paul.

A bit TOO heavy for my liking, but not unheard of.

Greg

Beats me, dude. I have no other limba to compare it to. The body shape is fairly large... not quite a Lucille, but as a Lucy, she ain't small either. Imagine what she'd way if I hadn't thickness planed her down from 2" to 1.75"? :D

Greg