Humbucker mod diagram

Andreas

It's missing "Parallel Out of Phase." I wonder how that sounds :DB).

I don't see why not. It should work fine the way you describe. That's what I plan to replace my current setup (each 4-conductor HB pickup with an on/on/on dp3t offering series/single/parallel) with.

It's missing "Parallel Out of Phase." I wonder how that sounds :DB).

Can you have a parallel out of phase? I dont remember seeing any

Yes you can have parallel out of phase but not with that diagram. I was just making that comment because the diagram states

This is the way to get all the possible sounds from a single Humbucker just using one switch.

:D

oh well that diagram is way good enought for my expectations... I want to make a very very versatile guitar so there should be alot of pickup compinations.

Btw...when you blend two single coils (one on neck and one on bridge) do they behave as a humbucker or as two single coils?

Btw...when you blend two single coils (one on neck and one on bridge) do they behave as a humbucker or as two single coils?

It'll act as HB's if you use the N coil of one pickup and the S of the other. If both are N or S, then it'd be as two SC's.

I was reading this thread and started thinking. I really like having separate volume and tone controls for each pickup. It gives you the ability to, for instance, blend a little bite from the bidge pickup into a muddy neck rhythm sound. To do this I was thinking you could use the stacked pots so you wuoldn't have all these control knobs. You would send the output of the rotary switches to the output of the pickups in this schematic. It would give you all the settings in the rotary, a volume, and a tone for each pickup without having to add any more knobs.

Andreas, I missed the rotary schematic before. Thanks for posting it!

I was reading this thread and started thinking. I really like having separate volume and tone controls for each pickup. It gives you the ability to, for instance, blend a little bite from the bidge pickup into a muddy neck rhythm sound. To do this I was thinking you could use the stacked pots so you wuoldn't have all these control knobs. You would send the output of the rotary switches to the output of the pickups in this schematic. It would give you all the settings in the rotary, a volume, and a tone for each pickup without having to add any more knobs.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking that as well, I would prefer it but I would end up with too much pots...I just saw the Stacked Dual Concentric Pots from your link and I want to ask you how they work?...how can you ajust each of the pair of the pot separetely?

The stacked pots work by having one of the post controlled by a solid shaft and the second one by a tube surrounding the first shaft. For knobs you have one that is basically a ring that attaches to the tube and allows the solid shaft to come through so you can set the second regular knob on the shaft.

Here is a set of stacked knobs. I hope this visual explains it better than my words do!

The stacked pots work by having one of the post controlled by a solid shaft and the second one by a tube surrounding the first shaft. For knobs you have one that is basically a ring that attaches to the tube and allows the solid shaft to come through so you can set the second regular knob on the shaft.

Here is a set of stacked knobs. I hope this visual explains it better than my words do!

Ah I see...that is perfect for me :D

The lower part would be a tone ajustment and the top the volume ajustment (except if anyone suggests why that shouldnt be done)

You'll hear no such suggestion-- in fact, that's what I planned on doing with my guitar until I decided to make it more simplistic. On a future, more "control-freak" guitar, I will do just that.

Greg

http://www.guest.animebliss.net/BIOU/guitar%20wiring2.JPG

That is the wiring diagram im going after.

But before I do so I want to ask something that the masterminds of this forum might know.

From what I know active pickups are normal pickups that produce a very very weak signal from the strings and use an amplification circiut to enhance the signal.

The two humbuckers im planing to put are passive..in fact they might be a gibson classic 57 and classic 57 plus...and I was thinking if something could be added to the output of the bridge pickup before it goes to the volume and tone pot to amplify and balance the signal to resemble the sound of active pickups to be used mainly for metal rythm playing. What I had in mind would be a circuit of some sort that would be activated by the flick of a small switch. Any help or do I ask too much?

http://www.guest.animebliss.net/BIOU/guitar%20wiring2.JPG

That is the wiring diagram im going after.

The two humbuckers im planing to put are passive..in fact they might be a gibson classic 57 and classic 57 plus...

Hmm... I had a feeling that the gibson classic 57 and classic 57 plus are two conductor pickups so I did a search, finding this:

http://strings.gibson.com/PUPwiring.pdf

which confirmed my concern. You'll need four conductor pickups.

hmm I was under the impression that the classic 57 where four conductor pickups...oh well it doesnt matter..I can always use them in another project ...maybe an excact copy of an SG supreme. hmm... :D

Does anyone have any suggestions for the "steroid" circuit I asked before?

Ah I see...that is perfect for me :D

The lower part would be a tone ajustment and the top the volume ajustment (except if anyone suggests why that shouldnt be done)

Exactly my plan on my guitar.

I'll also have a 5-way super switch (or maybe PRS style rotary, haven't decided) for full use of pick-up options. You can have separate volume and tone controls for each pick-up with only 2 holes in the top of your guitar + the switch. I don't like having alot of knobs and switches cluttering up a nice figured top but I still want to control volume and tone separately on both humbuckers.

I like the look of these knobs at Stew-Mac.

I was thinking of ordering them with black on bottom knob and gold on top to give my project a gold framed in black theme. B)

Exactly my plan on my guitar.

I'll also have a 5-way super switch (or maybe PRS style rotary, haven't decided) for full use of pick-up options. You can have separate volume and tone controls for each pick-up with only 2 holes in the top of your guitar + the switch. I don't like having alot of knobs and switches cluttering up a nice figured top but I still want to control volume and tone separately on both humbuckers.

I like the look of these knobs at Stew-Mac.

I was thinking of ordering them with black on bottom knob and gold on top to give my project a gold framed in black theme. :D

I was thinking if something could be added to the output of the bridge pickup before it goes to the volume and tone pot to amplify and balance the signal to resemble the sound of active pickups to be used mainly for metal rythm playing. What I had in mind would be a circuit of some sort that would be activated by the flick of a small switch. Any help or do I ask too much?

Meet the Stratoblaster. That should take care of your problems. Or try Don Till's JFET Guitar Preamp. Or get a prebuilt one from EMG, StewMac, Guitar Electronics, et al. Just replace the volume pot (on the preamp) with a trimmer pot and set it for the amount of boost you want.

I was thinking if something could be added to the output of the bridge pickup before it goes to the volume and tone pot to amplify and balance the signal to resemble the sound of active pickups to be used mainly for metal rythm playing. What I had in mind would be a circuit of some sort that would be activated by the flick of a small switch. Any help or do I ask too much?

Meet the Stratoblaster. That should take care of your problems. Or try Don Till's JFET Guitar Preamp. Or get a prebuilt one from EMG, StewMac, Guitar Electronics, et al. Just replace the volume pot (on the preamp) with a trimmer pot and set it for the amount of boost you want.

The site that has the stratoblaster inside is perfect!! :DB)

After studying the site I saw that the stratoblaster would do my needs perfectly.

But just to be sure....that kind of booster shown will enchance the signal and make the bridge pickup act like an active pickup? What I want from it is to be able to distort very easy...have in mind an EMG - 81

Yes, the StratoBlaster is a clean boost - just makes your signal hotter. Alembic originally designed it for people who wanted hot humbucker signal levels out of single coil pickups. You shouldn't have too much trouble getting the amp to distort at those levels!