Relic Pickguard

Hi guys

I have a USA strat at home with a pearloid pickguard. I want to take it out and put in a plain white pickguard. Furthermore I want this pickguard to look a little 'old', like this beauty:

Closet_classic.jpg

My question are: is putting in a different pickguard going to affect the hum-shielding that my guitar currently has?

Are some pickguards better than others?

To make this relic style finish, I've heard about rubbing coffee on it- is this the best way?

Thanks!

Affect the hum shielding? Not unless it's already shielded and the new one isn't...?

Of course, you could always use some spray adhesive and kitchen aluminum before you install the new pickguard and give yourself a bit of shielding that wasn't there. In fact, why not head to GuitarNuts.com and look for the "Quieting the Beast" section, which will give you all kinds of ways to improve hum resistance.

Greg

Thanks for the reply

I always thought shielding was only really done in the pickup cavities but I had read somewhere (possibly incorrectly!) that the pickguard often has shielding too. Since my pickguard is 3-ply, I thought this might be true. I actually have no problem with hum at this stage, my guitar seems very quiet; Im just hoping when I change the pickguard, the hums stays this way :D

Shielding the pickup cavities is more important, but shielding the pickguard helps prevent noise in your control cavity. A 3-ply pickguard won't have any shielding, since it's just laminated plastic. If you get some craft adhesive and kitchen foil, you just throw'er on there, trim off the excess, and you're sorted. Well, pretty much. Check guitarnuts.com for details.

Of course, if you're happy with the noise performance... no need to futz around!

Greg