Tuning Issues

OK,

First off I apologies if this issue has been covered many times before, I had a quick browse through but just wanted some clarification.

I have a Jackson DKMGT. I had an EMG 81 and 85 set installed and am very happy with the guitar itself. Its got a fixed bridge, strings thru body and standard Jackson sealed tuners.

She sits in Drop-C tuning, I use D'addario Chromes (10-48), however these require a higher tension than standard 48's and on previous guitars (Ibanez RG470) they have stayed nicely in tune.

It does not go wildly out, but just seems to hover to sharp or to flat, it will settle down after a bit, but when I pick her up after an hour or so break, she’s very slightly out again.

I have done a bit of reading and people suggest using some kind of lube on the nut, which I am going to give a go.

I am also considering the following mods to help make her as stable as possible during gigs:

Sperzel locking Tuners

Graphite Nut

Graphite saddles

Any thoughts on these? Is there something else I could be missing?

Many thanks for your time.

Sonny

www.stalefish1.com

All of those seem like good mods to me. I See that it's a Tune O Matic type Bridge, check to see if the slots in the saddles are cut correctly, if at all. The Strings could be sliding on the saddles causing tuning problems. If that's the case flie a slot in each saddle being careful to match the radius on the fingerboard. After filing, clean up any burrs that are on the saddles to prevent the strings from breaking

It may be due to the dropped C tuning. I would see if it stays in standard tuning and then troubleshoot from there.

I would look at a different type or heavier string if it stays in tune standard but won't in dropped C. Most guitars are not set up for that low of a tunning and will require adjustment to work well there.

Otherwise I would make 1 change at a time so you know what fixed it.

It may be due to the dropped C tuning. I would see if it stays in standard tuning and then troubleshoot from there.

I would look at a different type or heavier string if it stays in tune standard but won't in dropped C. Most guitars are not set up for that low of a tunning and will require adjustment to work well there.

I will give that a go, these strings are pretty hefty, the tensions listed on the back are in keeping with sets of regular 52's, which seems to be the prefered gauge for Drop C tuning.

Thanks for your advice people.

I typically install locking tuners on all my guitars - and I usually use a fixed bridge. It just adds that extra bit of tuning stability, and string changes are so much faster.

I also used Graphtech saddles on my last guitar...it's seen some heavy playing and hasn't broken a string yet. I plan on using their nuts on future projects...hope that helps.

for what its worth, i have a hardtail string thru body guitar with locking tuners and the tuning stability is excellent, but when i recently tuned it to drop D, it just would not stay in tune. the strings on this guitar are overdue a replacement so i think it was the strings contracting and 'settling into' their new tension. perhaps when the strings are tuned to a lower tension they are more succeptible to other effects such as temperature changes etc...

my €0.02

john.

Cheers for the help guys. Just to let you all know, I've put some vaz on the nut and saddles, played the hell outt the thing, and she is now staying in as good as new.

I will probably do the sperzel tuners and graphite doohikies as I would love to play just one gig wher I have to tune ZERO times.

i know you said you fixed the problem,but i would like to second what syxxstring says here...those low tunings need thicker strings