Fretting templates

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

Compatable? Are the slots for the locating pin the same? Can I use LMI's templates with Stewmac's saw? Will they lock into place?

Judging by the number of reads and no replies I think everyone is as clueless as I am.

Are you trying to cut cost by ordering from two sources? If so, and if you want to make sure that the two pieces work together, I would pay the price and get it all from a single source. It may cost a bit more, I don't know exactly because I have not looked, but I think the peace of mind knowing that it will work will be worth it.

Here is the scoop guys! I have templates from both LMI and Stew-Mac(I haven't used the LMI template yet).....The indexing pin on the Stew-Mac template measures 1/16in dia and the LMI template indexing pin measures @ 1/8in dia.....the actual sizes are ever-so-slightly-smaller but are close enough for our purposes here. The recommended saw blades that Stew-Mac and LMI offer, both cut a kerf .023 wide. As long as you use the correct indexing pins with the templates, I would say that they are compatable....unless I have totally overlooked something! If you have access to a metal lathe....make a dual pin...one end for LMI...the other diameter to fit Stew-Mac.....that way, all you need to do is reverse the indexing pin in a single hole to accomodate both templates. I can make the pin for you if you need one.

the templates are also different wides, and i beleive the lmi template is wider, so it won't fit in the stew mac miter box, but the stew mac template will fit in the lmi box with the correct pin, but i'm now thinking of using the table saw blade more for the standard cuts.

I am going to be getting some plexiglass/acrylic/lexan/whatever templates made to suit the StewMac box. Laser cut, and will run up to 30 frets. If anyone would like to get in, to help keep the costs down (estimate 30% less than the old stewmac price, including postage to USA/Canada), then please email me. You've got one month :D

Thats tempting Perry. I need one that does 25.5 and 24.75. I have Lmi's 25/35 in and the other would be nice. Anyone used the tablesaw method? Seems unsafe to me, but I have never seen it done either.

• 2 weeks later...

I also use the table saw method. It works very well and is extremely fast. Building the jig takes an hour or two depending on how in depth you get. Safety is definatly an issue when doing it this way, however I believe it's an issue with whatever tool you use. Most injuries I've seen were caused by the silent tools: chisels, razor blades, etc. When it makes noise and spins like a maddog it gets your attention and your careful. Not to say power tools don't cause injury because I've also seen that side of it. Just be careful not matter what tools you use.