Connecting rack mounts to amps

Joey

I was given an alesis midiverb 2 and I have no clue how to connect it to my amp.... I tried plugging a cable into the defeat jack in the back of the unit and then connecting that to my preamp out jack of my amp... nothing happened. Then tried it through the effects loop w/no luck.. Please help!! What am I missing?

There are L and R input and output jacks and also midi jacks too.. so what do I to?? I really need a quick response, b/c the music shop near me closes soon and I wanna get there tonight if I can to pick up what I need. Thanks.

Edit: the title should say not sure "how" to set it up....

Thanks, Ill try that... But I didnt get the manual for it... I was just given the bare unit with nothing else. Thanks again.

Also, there are L and R in's and L and R outs... but just 2 jacks for the effects loop obviously... so does it matter if I just do L in and L out? Or is what I am saying incomprehensible!?!?!?!

Thanks lovekraft.. That link was to a midiverb 4 manual, but I had already looked at the midiverb 2 manual online and I did what it said to no avail. I'm plugging my guitar into the L input jack, and plugging the amp into the unit's L output jack. Nothing happens but some buzz and VERY little dry sound through the amp. Then I tried it in all possible combinations through the effects loop and nothing worked. Im beginning to think its broken, since it is pretty old.. I might take it to a music shop and see if they can get it working.

Oh I tried that yeah... I had plugged it (guitar) into the amp and then the rest through the loop jacks.... believe me ive tried everything I can think of. The online manual said to actually plug the instrument into the midiverb... so I tried that with the same results ive been getting. Does anyone else have this unit? I mean.. its really pissing me off! I have a huge 24 channel peavey mixer coming to me soon, so maybe when that gets here Ill try to hook it up through that.