3 humbucker guitar

i asked about a 2 3-way switching system earlier but now i'm asking about the pickups. what's the best type of pickup for the middle humbucker (low output/high output, alnico/ceramic) I think i'm going to put an EMG system in it. I was thinking 85-N,81-M,81-B but I've also thought about putting a 60, 60A, or an 89 in the middle. It's an epiphone so i'm open to using Gibson pickups as well as DiMarzio and Seymour Duncans even though I've had no experience with SD or Gibson pickups. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Just a side note...You said about 2 3-way switches. I think you have to have one switch thats deals with pickup change and the splitting, series/paraller etc. can be done on other switches. This is because I had an expierence with a complicated system I made that you had to acitate the middle pickup and then activate separetly the other pickups and it was a big problem since I had to flick 2 switches when I wanted to change a pickup and it was very difficult and time consiming. I strongly suggest to keep any changes you might want in compination to strictly one switch flick. Think your compinations over and try to get all possible with one switch change. You may already know this and this was a useless post but better safe than sorry.

The switching system I suggested was actually a pre switch with the output going directly to the rhthym side. The pre switch determined whether the neck , middle or both pickups were sent to the rhthym side of the main switch. The idea behind this was to get all seven possible pickup combinations. I'm not too sure but i think in the middle position of a regular 2 humbucking guitar, the two pickup are in series. i hate the sound of single coil pickups in parallel. but anyway, thank you for your concern. I think I didn't explain myself very well before.

Ah ok...but let me tell you something else I just remebered. Have you ever played on a 3 humbucker guitar before?...The middle humbucker can and will get in your way when you play especially if you pick by letting alot of the pick to plunge into the strings. It is something you can get used to tho..I have but I see it when others play my guitar with the middle humbucker they tend to hit on it alot and complain...but then again my guitar is for me to play and not them :D

Ah ok...but let me tell you something else I just remebered. Have you ever played on a 3 humbucker guitar before?...The middle humbucker can and will get in your way when you play especially if you pick by letting alot of the pick to plunge into the strings. It is something you can get used to tho..I have but I see it when others play my guitar with the middle humbucker they tend to hit on it alot and complain...but then again my guitar is for me to play and not them :D

a little getting used to, eh? It took me a hell of a LOT to get used to! I almost just returned the guitar.. but.. as you said.. after a bit.. ya get used to it. Do yours happen to have metal covers? I use a steel pick.. and when that sucker would hit that 'gold' cover.. eek. "click click click click"

pickup wise, my reccomendation from excperiance is a 60 in the nbeck, great pickup.

id be tempted to go 60-85 (or 89) - 81

quite versatile...

go with what youre ears tell ya!!

Mike

a little getting used to, eh? It took me a hell of a LOT to get used to! I almost just returned the guitar.. but.. as you said.. after a bit.. ya get used to it. Do yours happen to have metal covers? I use a steel pick.. and when that sucker would hit that 'gold' cover.. eek. "click click click click"

I suppose it could be a problem but not the worst i've had with guitars. I'm left handed and i learned right handed. It may pose more of a problem if I use the EMGs because they need to be closer than normal but I suppose that if you use less of the pick it will help you control it better but i'm not really worried about it.

I suppose it could be a problem but not the worst i've had with guitars. I'm left handed and i learned right handed. It may pose more of a problem if I use the EMGs because they need to be closer than normal but I suppose that if you use less of the pick it will help you control it better but i'm not really worried about it.

Im left handed as well and learned right handed :D

But as I told you before it will be a problem..be prepared for it.

thanks. ever thought of playing Hendrix style?

Not really. I dont believe that if you are left handed you should start play left handed guitar. First of all you will have very few options in the guitar market, and after all even if you are right handed you will not pickup the guitar and play like a master. You will have to start from 0 in both situations.

the thing is psychologically speaking, left handed is better. the right side of your brain is more musically inclined and from my point of view (maybe not but...) it would help you unlock all your potential and creativity. Yeah it would be hard to start over but I think the ability you show on the right side could serve as motivation that you could be as good or better from the left side (and it would cool to tell to people that you could play the guitar left and right handed!) anyway, sorry I got off the subject.

the thing is psychologically speaking, left handed is better. the right side of your brain is more musically inclined and from my point of view (maybe not but...) it would help you unlock all your potential and creativity. Yeah it would be hard to start over but I think the ability you show on the right side could serve as motivation that you could be as good or better from the left side (and it would cool to tell to people that you could play the guitar left and right handed!) anyway, sorry I got off the subject.

I dont think this has to do anything with what hand you use to fret. I mean you dont use your hands to listen to music and the things you play are not by your hands alone. The way I see it is that you remeber musical patterns in your mind`s ear and play them and listen to them with your ears. I had the same idea as you to play both ways a few months ago (almost a year) but I rejected it as soon as i tried it out. You will have to start from scratch and neglect your normal playing feeling and this will set you back since you will have to re-learn the feeling of playing with your other hand.

The right side of the brain also controls your left arm and left leg.

For a right handed person, Left arm = fretting hand (does all the dirty work)

well, when i first started playing my rythym got all messed up because I used my right hand ( and i didn't have very much to begin with) but eventually I got used to it. I' ve tried playing Hendrix style and i don't find it that bad. i just hardly have had time to practice at all. The only thing that bothers me is that when playing hendrix style I hate the idea of having the controls on the upper bout. I think that controls should be behind the bridge and that way there out of the way. Has anyone ever seen a guitar like that cause I'm constantly hitting the controls when playing aggressively (including the pickup switch on the upper bout.

well, when i first started playing my rythym got all messed up because I used my right hand ( and i didn't have very much to begin with) but eventually I got used to it. I' ve tried playing Hendrix style and i don't find it that bad. i just hardly have had time to practice at all. The only thing that bothers me is that when playing hendrix style I hate the idea of having the controls on the upper bout. I think that controls should be behind the bridge and that way there out of the way. Has anyone ever seen a guitar like that cause I'm constantly hitting the controls when playing aggressively (including the pickup switch on the upper bout.

I still mess up the rhythm alot. I think this is a universal disadvandage of leftys playing right handed, but there is nothing you cannot practice and perfect. If you really found it not that difficult then go for it and see where it leads you. Now about the controls am not sure what you can do unless you buy a left handed guitar.