Gibson humbucker wire (braided shield)

LaFeeVerte

This stuff I hate. I bought 3 57 Classic pups for my Epi G-400 Custom and have had horrible problems with them. I've NEVER had any luck with the "single conducter" wire. Any tips? I've found problems with the shield touching a connection in the tight control cavity which grounds out that connections.. and also they just sound muddy with exception of the neck pup.. whichs sounds really good. even the treble strings on the bridge/middle sounds muddy! the humbuckers in the guitar stock sounded better (Epi versions of the 57 Classic).. but i believe it's my wiring...

Hi LFV,

I have a thought on the contact/touching problem. Go to an electronics store and get some shrinkwrap tubing. It should be fairly easy to find. You put it on the conductor then heat it, and it shrinks to fit. But you still have to be careful not heat or melt anything else. And practice on a piece of the shrink wrap outside the guitar. Sometimes a hair dryer will work, sometimes you need actual fire.

Guitar Ed

Hi LFV,

I have a thought on the contact/touching problem. Go to an electronics store and get some shrinkwrap tubing. It should be fairly easy to find. You put it on the conductor then heat it, and it shrinks to fit. But you still have to be careful not heat or melt anything else. And practice on a piece of the shrink wrap outside the guitar. Sometimes a hair dryer will work, sometimes you need actual fire.

Guitar Ed

the soldering iron shrinks that quite well without burning anything....a hairdryer is not really the way to go