Grounding

alan hipson

Grounding the back of the pots is not only for a convenient place to solder your ground but also to shield the pots and stop them picking up hum. The thing to watch out for is that you don't have any ground loops. ie more than on wire connecting grounds together. So pick a point which is to be at ground potential and wire in a star from all other bits that will be at ground, including the output jack.

Use screened wire for your "hot" leads as well and make sure only one end of the screen is connected to your "star" ground point.

Keith

Screened, shielded same thing. I think it's a telecommunications term as that's where I learnt my electronics. We always refered to the braided outer as the "screen" as it screens out the noise.

Keith

Keith: By "screened" to you mean shielded? Is that a British term or something?

I don't know I'm not British I'm South African.

Keith 

That's almost the same thing. 

Those Brits use strange words for stuff all the time.

Whaaat? Last time any of my family came from Britain was almost 200 hundred years ago. :D I hope you won't call any of our Australian members British, it can make them very upset B)