another kind of lacquer???

MzI

has anyone heard of moisture resistant lacquer, ive been doin a lot of researching about this stuff, its aviable at sherman williams, its a one part lacquer, super fast drying, my dad is currently sprayin it on the kitchen cabinets and he said its possible to do 10 or 11 coats in an hour on a nice sunny day, i also work for a painting contractor so i have lots of info from some of my coworkers, the stuff is relatively cheap, in comparison to poly, its roughly $35 or $40 a gallon, when i say super fast drying it dries to the touch instantly when spraying it outside in the sun with a thin coat, some more stuff i found out, it doesnt yellow or crack, its on the cabinets already and its been there for 15 years and still looks good

has anyone else used this stuff or even heard of it, im thinkin im gonna use it on my next guitar once i get to the finishin stage and im also thinkin bout strippin the paint off the neck of my V and resprayin it so it isnt as thick of a neck, yea theres a lot on there

any thoughts or comments

MzI

another thing i just rememberd, it doesnt take forever to harden i think the guy i work with said its hard like the same day no 3 or 4 weeks of waitin for it to harden like nitro if im not mistaken

• 2 weeks later...

Sherwin-Williams had a product called Kemvar.....Types "C" and "M".......I don't know if it is still available....it sounds like what you are refering to. Kemvar was or is a commercial product used mostly for finishing kitchen cabinets ond other furniture pieces. This stuff is a catalyzed coating which could be sprayed and cured for shipping in 15 minutes......and it was damn near bulletproof!....resistant to water, anything that you could spill on it from the kitchen, and many mild acids. Of the 2 types...."C" or "M".....one had a gloss lacquer appearence and the other had a hand-rubbed look.

that sounds similar to the stuff i have, the particular type is like medium hand rubbed finish or sumthin like that, but as of now i think its gone i can get more tho cuz i work for a painting company, ill prollly get the high gloss, im definetly gonna try it prolly in the next 2 weeks or so if everything goes according to plan maybe sooner well see, ill post my results as soon as possible

MzI

• 3 weeks later...

ok my neck refin is done, the lacquer which is just cabinet lacquer i guess is awesome, super easy to spray, and dries in no time, i finished sprayin monday, after 2 coats on sunday as a sealer coat, then i was gonna take the tape off and blend in the clear but decided not to so then i wet sanded with 600 buffed and waxed and its glossy quite glossy actually specially for not being the glossy finish im quite happy and i took a good 1/16th off my neck thickness so i give the stuff 2 thumbs up and ill definetly be using it on my new guitar when i get to that point

MzI

How's it for sanding? I take it it's a clear?

for sanding like sanding it down or using it as sanding sealer??? they make a sanding sealer that goes with it, the only problem is that you hafta buy it by the gallon no quarts or ne thing, regular sanding wise its really easy, i sanded with 600 wet to start and it was really easy to do

MzI

See if you can get a name or product number off the container or the MSDS. It isn't Opex production lacquer, is it? Sounds like it works really well. I've got a friend who works for a S-W commercial jobber/distributor, but he has no idea what it is, so if you could find out, I might be able to snag some from him to check out.

it isnt opex lacquer the can says sumthin liek sher wood, its a white can with a red stripe along the top ill go find out right now, ok its called sher-wood the number on the cans are T70 F 22 and 530-3177, its moisture resistant lacquer it also says at the bottom of the can Alkyd

hope the helps

MzI