Another hare brained project

guitar_ed

Hi folks,

I am at it again, this time building a tube amp from AllenAmps. If you want to see it unfold, click Here. Scroll down and click on "The Tube Amp."

Time will tell how this goes. But given that it involves high voltage, it should be good for some laughs.

Guitar Ed

Some days I feel like Homer J. Simpson

:D This I don't like:

Due to the low price, NO tech support is provided.

But, whut da heck, there's always AX84 and Ampage if you run into trouble- and you did pick a fairly simple one. With your history of surmounting obstacles, it should be a breeze! Champs are so cool! Good luck - you may want to give this a look, so you don't singe yourself! B) BTW, you've got one of the best guitar websites on the 'Net - and some of the coolest Teles I've ever seen!

Hi Spirit and Lovekraft,

Thanks for the words of advice and support.

I think that this will turn out OK. I have a luthier who know's his way around an amp to help me. Keith has helped me with my guitars, and he sent me to Allen Amps.

I figure it will take a while to do this project, but I think that I can do it right the first time. I used to solder for a living, though it was 20+ years ago. 23 years to be specific. And if it blows up, uhumm..... I don't know.

Take care guys.

Guitar Ed

I figure it will take a while to do this project, but I think that I can do it right the first time. I used to solder for a living, though it was 20+ years ago.  23 years to be specific.

You're probably more qualified than a lot of these "boo-teek" amp builders. I've seen some truly abysmal soldering in "handmade" amps (hey, mine's not always great, but I do it over until I get it right :D ).

And if it blows up, uhumm..... I don't know.

Just triple-check everything, and make sure you've got the right pins hooked up (a tube makes a remarkable "pop" when it explodes - don't ask!). Oh, and if you've got the mains hooked up, work with one hand. I can't wait to hear it!

looks cool and very good fun. i was thinking of building something resembling a champ for my first steps into the world of tube amp building

how much did the kit in its entirety cost? also is there a speaker in the cab (i think i can see one but not totally sure

tell us how it goes, id like to hear this

Hi Guys,

JohnnyG first. The cabinet is complete. I should have made that clear. There is a speaker in it. The cost for the unfinished cabinet & amp kit, including speaker, is US$429, plus shipping. Go to Allen Amps to see all the options, including other amp kits.

LK: Thanks for the advice about working one handed. I don't plan to plug this critter in until I get it all assembled and hooked up. And then I will need to learn how to drain the caps properly. For this project, more than the guitars even, paitience will determine the outcome.

Starting next week, I will start with the staining and finishing and building. Yee-Hah!!

Watch for more pitctures by the end of next week.

Guitar Ed

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Howdy All,

I have learned one important thing on this project: What ever the gods intend for me to do, it does not include building amps. I had the thing so hosed up I had to send it back to David Allen to get it un-hosed. :D On the other hand, he did a great job with it. B)

If you want to see the whole story, click Here. Scroll down and click on Amp. Also, I have updated the story on the Beat-Caster.

Guitar Ed

I'm sorry you had to find out how frustrating electronics can be... I work at this and I hate it everyday I have to troubleshoot to the component, I like replacing modules better. I saw this thread and was very entusiastic in buying a kit, that was until I went to the website and found out the prices... :D what is this guy thinking, I rather buy a Carvin MTS half stack for the price of a 2X10, and it comes with 50-100W selectable, and footswitch and free delivery, plus all the technical help I will need. Oh well, I'm glad that you got it back and that it sounds good, post sound clips to hear it...

My Orange Thinline Tele with my red, almost orange, amp. I did not realize how similar they were when I did the amp.

16%20jul%2004%2013.jpg

I guess I now have a conversation piece: "Hey. Did you see that guy with bright orange guitar and matching amp? Ee-gads!"

Later days!

Guitar Ed