Best way to make pickup templates

Go to the Bartolini website. Here you can download their catalogue. The drawings of the pickups match the actual pickup dimensions. Print the drawing of the appropriate pickup and use this as a template for your template.....contact cement the drawing to plywood or plexiglass and carefully cut out you template....remember to allow for a little wiggle room.

http://www.bartolini.net/productinfo.htm

• 5 weeks later...
Print the drawing of the appropriate pickup and use this as a template for your template.....contact cement the drawing to plywood or plexiglass and carefully cut out you template....remember to allow for a little wiggle room.

Did this work OK ? Its a good idea ....

How accurate do these templates need to be.?

I am going to give this idea a shot as I have just screwed up one routing it out with the Dremel..

I should have never trusted the plastic router base/guides to be accurate. There seems to be a lot of flex in it!

Greg

Probably the biggest set back in building my bass was trying to make the MM pickup template. I had printed multiple copies out trying to get it just right but finally just traced the pickup. I then cut the inside out with my band saw and fine tuned the template using flat and round rasps. After that I got a new piece of wood and used the template I made to route out another template. This got rid of the cut I had to make to get to the inside of the tracing. Once I got the new template routed out, I fined tuned it again with rasps.

Thats how I did it. It may not be the best way but it worked fairly well for me. Hope this helps.

To transfer paper drawings onto plywood, I use transfer paper. (It is ink impregnated, just like the kind in receipt books.) Using a good straight edge for the straight lines (i.e. guitar neck). Take your time along the curves, and you'll have an exact replica. I purchase my transfer paper at [url=http://www.workshopsupply.com] It is available in large sheets, enough to trace several full-size guitar drawings. :D

I tried it and it worked pretty good. The screw "ears" is where I kept screwing up. I got pretty frustrated and just decided to take a shot at winding my own custom shape pickups. I wanted to experiment with different designs anyway...