Carvin bolt Kit bridge choice

For my next project Im gonna get a Carvin bolt kit, in hopes of getting a strat type tone for a good price. I see that when ordering the kit, you can upgrade to a Wilkinson trem for only $40. I would prefer a trem over a fixed bridge...but not if it means sacrificing that Fender tone. So my question is, will adding the Wilkinson option sacrifice any of that Fedner tone as opposed to leaving the fixed bridge option?

Thanks in advance!!!

the trem would sound closer to the -typical- strat tone than the fixed bridge mainly because of the tremelo springs (they add a little reverb to the bodys vibration).

Or take the fixed bridge, sell it here in the classified section, then buy a six screw strat trem if you really don't trust the wilkinson tone.

Or buy a used strat instead (probably better resale value down the road)

I don't like the -typical- strat sound. So far, the best for me is a brass fixed bridge, with Gibson string spacing. Later I want to make a fixed bridge with an aluminum base and 3 brass tele saddles. If I don't like the aluminum, I'll go back to brass.

Locking tuners are definetly a must...I was planning on them even with a fixed bridge...I can be quite rough on the strings sometimes.

Thats a good point about the springs adding a reverb-y sound soapbar. I checked some specs, and the Wilky bridge posts are compatible with a standard american strat trem...so worst case i will just switch them around.

Now for the ULTIMATE question (ok, probably no that ultimate)....would you guys build a Carvin kit OR buy a used mexico strat and upgrade the pickups and hardware, assuming a fenderish tone was your ultimate priority?

Thanks!

I'd buy the used one, especially if you can try it out first, but even over the internet would be a lot like buying a kit guitar (which you don't know exactly how it will sound).

Mexi strats are considered by many to be good bang for the buck.

80's Jap strat might be even better

A frankenstrat from used parts hunted down is even more fun ( I've done it and will certainly do it again) They're all partscasters anyway (stole that from another board)

I also prefer the real fender headstock shape with a strat body, and I guess I like a rosewood or maple fretboard more than an ebony board like the Carvin has. I'd rather have other pickups than Carvins. I'm getting carried away with writing my own personal opinions here.

Rob

I also prefer the real fender headstock shape with a strat body, and I guess I like a rosewood or maple fretboard more than an ebony board like the Carvin has. I'd rather have other pickups than Carvins. I'm getting carried away with writing my own personal opinions here.

Rob

Just to clarify: You can get a maple (birds eye or regular) fretboard with the Carvin kit and they now offer rosewood. You can also get a paddle head so you can cut your own headstock.

Of course pickups are a matter of taste but Carvin's pups are very well designed and made. They have been making them as long as fender has been in business. I have a few Carvin pups and while I like them I prefer to use Bill Lawrence.