Stewmac pickup templates

Does anyone have any experience with the Stewmac pickup templates? The strat or single coil one seems to be about a 1/4 in too large all the way around. I know you need some wiggle room, but do I really want to make a pickup route this big?

Also, I have their humbucker and tele bridge pickup templates, but my pickups haven't arrived so I don't know if these will have the same problem. How much bigger than the pickup should a route be?

Does anyone have any experience with the Stewmac pickup templates? The strat or single coil one seems to be about a 1/4 in too large all the way around. I know you need some wiggle room, but do I really want to make a pickup route this big?

Also, I have their humbucker and tele bridge pickup templates, but my pickups haven't arrived so I don't know if these will have the same problem. How much bigger than the pickup should a route be?

they are rather large.....i have one,i think it is just to make sure that it will fit any pickup brand you wish...the ring covers it up

coincidentally my schecter has routs of the same size...but my ibanes guitars are slightly smaller

I think you'd be surprised how often that extra little bit of wiggle-room comes in handy to help you dead-center your pkps under your strangs. B)

It's helped me out way more than once. :D

(referring pretty much to the strat SC templates)

If you are unhappy with the size of the templates, you could always put tape on the inside edges of the template to make the routed area somewhat smaller. Of course, it would depend on how much tape you used as to how small the hole would be. I do that with my neck pocket routes. I put the tape on the inside of the template edges and do all of the routing and then carefully remove the tape and do the last pass. I find that it helps with tear out. Since I am only knockin' off such a small amount of wood on the last pass. I wanna' say Myka does that too.

I saw that tip about the tape somewhere else too. Can't remember if it was Myka or not. I will try that. The funny thing is that I got a single coil pickup cover from Stewmac as well(I know they don't make them). The single coil template is even too big for the pup cover - the screw holes don't have anything to bite into.

Is any type of tape preferred? I assume you don't want anything that will compress very much as you roll the bearing along it. I have duct tape, masking tape, electrical, scotch...oh, and some binding tape.

Drak, I agree the extra wiggle room is probably good, I re-measured and it is about a 1/8 inch extra all around the single (I really exaggerated when I said a 1/4 inch). :D Still - there would be very little for the pickup screws to bite into.

Thanks for the input guys.

Those routing guides are designed for use with a collar in your router. They are actually dead on size if you use a collar, they aren't 1/4" to big, at least not for dimarzio's.

Anyway, if you use a 1/4" bit, with a collar, the OD of the collar is 3/8" (approximately 1/16" radius bigger than the bit).

This is a FAR better system than using a bearing because your depth is so easily change-able since the bit actually runs inside the guide collar. Anyone who says they aren't accurate hasn't used the properly or hasn't got good guide collars or bits. I have the Stew mac templates and use them often, they are bang on for size if you use the collars.

Is any type of tape preferred? I assume you don't want anything that will compress very much as you roll the bearing along it. I have duct tape, masking tape, electrical, scotch...oh, and some binding tape.

Don't use electrical... I tried it, and the bearing tore it off in about 10 seconds (if even that).

... The funny thing is that I got a single coil pickup cover from Stewmac as well(I know they don't make them). The single coil template is even too big for the pup cover - the screw holes don't have anything to bite int

Wait wait, I'm not getting you here. The hole should clear the pickup cover completely, it will screw inside a pickguard, a mounting ring, or in the bottom of the hole.

Wait wait, I'm not getting you here. The hole should clear the pickup cover completely, it will screw inside a pickguard, a mounting ring, or in the bottom of the hole

What I was trying to say was the single coil mounting ring that I bought (also from Stewmac) here at least seems wrong for the template in that the outside screw holes will barely have any wood to bite into using the template as is and using the recommended bit and bearing that Stewmac sells.

This is my first project, which is why I am asking so many questions and trying to be careful.

Scott, what is a collar?

they're site says for strats and tele's i think they're assuming you're going to use a pickguard over the rout, in which case you might want it a bit bigger (hence using the template bit)

Hi Scott, on my porter cable router I can use a collar on the plunge base, for my body templates this is perfect, I can do all my depths at once as the plunge base has 6 seperate depth stops that I can set and all I have to do is change the dial to the desired stop. With the collar, it means I only need one adjustment :D

Yeah the rotating turret is the best thing they ever came up with. I still have never used a collar like you guys are talking about, guess I haven't run into those problems since I use ring covers. But then again, I'd much rather have a pin router, but can't afford one.. lol Some say they can build their own, but I haven't found any plans that I like so far. LGM do you know if Dewalt has the same alignment holes as a Porter Cable on the base? I was gonna get a Porter Cable but I had heard they was bought out by some other company and wasn't sure that the quality was as good. I've heard bad stories about some of their products, but I'm sure their routers are still top notch though.

Hey, I've used both the Stewmac template and the SC mounting ring, and was fine. There isn't a ton of space for the mounting ring screws, but they DO clear. The rings also DO cover the route, but it isn't by a whole lot. I used a regular 1/2" pattern following bit to do my routing.

Hi Scott, on my porter cable router I can use a collar on the plunge base, for my body templates this is perfect, I can do all my depths at once as the plunge base has 6 seperate depth stops that I can set and all I have to do is change the dial to the desired stop. With the collar, it means I only need one adjustment B)

I bought my P/C Router with the Fixed Base only. I have a 3 HP Skil (when they were still good) plunge Router that's why I said the colar wouldn't work with mine :D