dimarzio super distortion

mattdowney

hey i have recently finished my homemade guitar. its a rhoads v. i never thought it would turn out good so i put inexpensive kent armstrong pickups in it. it turns out it an amazing guitar and imm going to put better pickups in it. the sound i want is a lots of high end less low end , like randy rhoads, megadeth chilren of bodom, overkill ect. imm looking at a dimarzio super distortion in the bridge and a PAF in the neck. imm familiar with the PAF but not with the super distortion. can anyone tell me what the super distortion will sound like, will it suit my style? ive heard good things about it. ive also looked at a seymour duncan JBin the bridge and Jazz in the neck. would this be better? imm leaning towards the dimarzio.

thanks matt

I don't think the Jazz and JB would be the best suited to what you want. We stock super distortions and people really like them. I'm an emg man so I would recommend EMG 81's. They have the anniversary set out which are chrome(no pole pieces). They look cool.

for the bands you mentioned i also agree that emg is the way to go...

i am not a fan of the super distortion....it is just so lacking in clarity at high gain

try playing "alter of sacrifice" through a pickup like the super distortion and you will hear all the notes start to blend together

My thoughts exactly - Super Distortions have a really nasty lower midrange peak that'll turn almost any high gain amp into a mudbath. Almost anything else will work better for you, like Dimebuckers, Lawrence 500XLs, etc., but EMGs (actives) are probably ideal.