How to get a good finish?

i want a thin clear poly finish on my guitar, but i have no access to good spraying equipment like a compressor and spray gun. as i don't have many choices what are the pros and cons of can spraying poly - does it take ages to harden and does it look decent? has anyone used prevals before? and is it possible to get a finish equivalent to a guitar manufacturer by brushing on poly varnish as apposed to spray poly?

Get your paint custom mixed into spray cans. You'll need to search for a place that will do it, but they are a lot more convenient to use. If im doing one guitar, then i pay the $20 (aussie) to get it mixed and put into a spray pack. One can will do a neck through guitar with enough left over just in case you stuff up.

I HATE cleaning spray guns, so i prefer pre-mixed spray cans.

ok, thanx Perry. i know a place locally that does just that.

Howdy,

One thing that I might add to Rhoads' comment is to get one more can than you think that you will need. This minimizes the chances of something going wrong with dye lots and mitxtures and stuff like that.

Ask anybody who has painted a house with a custom color and ran out in the middle. Disaster is the polite way of putting it.

Guitar Ed

Advice worth what you paid for it.

he said a clear finish

You can get any colour mixed Wes. Im getting some "Harlequin" paint (three colour shifting paint) mixed up soon, which proves the versatility of this idea.

cool...i have a sherwin williams about 1/2 hour away which does this sort of thing also...but i was just referring to ed saying that the color would be hard to match a second time...since he is wanting a clear finish,that is not a problem

i like the idea of the color shifting paint

since he is wanting a clear finish,that is not a problem

Not really true....every clear laquer I have here looks a little different....some more yellow, others reflect more blue light, etc....The effect is not as dramatic as with colored paint, but clears definately can look different as well. I actually did a test with different clears on the same piece of scrap, so I know what I am talking about....

ESP make guitars with colour shifting paint, you can only get them in Japan though. they call it Illusion Paint or something like that.

i see a lot of asian people with those paint jobs on their suped up cars. those paint jobs are extremely expensive, and because of the area i live in - they are more than likely drug dealers.