Kit Neck have Nut Issues?

Howdy All,

I'm trying to determain if I should attempt to fix the following problems on a Kit neck or beg the vendor for a replacement (knowing it may take a month or more if at all).

I'm learning more and more all the time how novice I am. I was hoping to basically just focus on learning how to finish the guitar and most everything else would be pretty much ready to go. :D

Okay, on to the question(s), the following picks show the nut is not level on the surface, gapped and the neck finish chipped on the top side.

HeadNutLevel_small.jpg

NeckNutChip1_small.jpg

NeckNutChip2_small.jpg

I question if I should attempt to remove the nut, strip the clear coat on the first fret and nut area, refinish and put it back.

I get the impression this is not an easy task for a first timer though I would probably learn a lot from doing it. Also at the same time wouldn't know were to begin on removing the nut refinishing without screwing up the neck, nut and the first fret.

What would you guys suggest? B)

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Brian

Well, if it where me, and if I didn't mind seeing a little gap there, I would start off by doing nothing. I would make sure that the nut was snugly in the slot and that it wouldn't snap into place when the strings are at tension over it.

I would go through the build and string it up first. If the nut needed adjustment, then I would start tweaking it.

Having said all that, I don't think it would be too hard to ease the nut out of the slot and clean it up with a small file. The worst thing that would happen is that you file too deep and have to get a taller nut, or glue a shim in place to raise it back up. Just take your time and test the fit after every few strokes of the file.

Good luck with it!

I would go through the build and string it up first. If the nut needed adjustment, then I would start tweaking it.

Having said all that, I don't think it would be too hard to ease the nut out of the slot and clean it up with a small file.

Thanks, so far it appears the nut is seated as far as it will go, could be there is some clear coat under preventing it from going all the way into the slot.

The chipping on the neck is pretty ugly, the pic's don't really show it as much as it appears to me.

You know of any references on nut removal, and possibly a 'fix chipped finish on the neck near the nut' tutorial. :D

Appreciate the help.

Brian

I don't think there's a tutorial on it, but here's what I would do...

I would try to gently lift the nut out of the slot with a small screw driver. With that gap there, you should have no problem getting the tip of the screwdriver in there.

As for the finish, I would use a small brush and "drop fill" the cracked section with some clear lacquer. When that is close enough for level, I would wet sand and polish it to blend it in. I'm just guessing that the kit has lacquer on it already. The wet lacquer should do a fine job of melting into the set lacquer already there.

Just be sure to wait for a week or so before you polish that lacquer up. It's a small area, but it takes a while to cure.