Using a table mounted router as a spindle sander?

Hardtailed

i can just picture that in my head.... be pretty funny to see a sanding drum fly THRU ur wall :D

anyhoo, the oscilating spindle sanders are much better, the up down motion keeps them from getting blocked up. and their nowhere near as loud as a router

I'm sure we can think up lots of shortcuts...but that ain't one of 'em! :D I'm glad you are heeding the wisdom. If you just need to do some roughing in you could insert your drum into a hand drill. Just keep a steady hand and check with a carpenter's square.

I'm sure we can think up lots of shortcuts...but that ain't one of 'em! :D I'm glad you are heeding the wisdom. If you just need to do some roughing in you could insert your drum into a hand drill. Just keep a steady hand and check with a carpenter's square.

Or mount your hand drill in a vice.... Make sure to use the square to keep it true.

You know,  Harbor Freight Tools has a tabletop oscillating spindle sander for sale at 99 bucks this month...

home depot has a better one for the same price,and they are much better to deal with

a drill press doesn't do as well because it leaves more hand sanding to be done than a spindle sander because of the lack of oscilation in a drill press

not to mention a spindle sander has a nice large surface to work on,and a $40 drill press sucks(i just bought one...utter crap)

You know,  Harbor Freight Tools has a tabletop oscillating spindle sander for sale at 99 bucks this month...

home depot has a better one for the same price,and they are much better to deal with

a drill press doesn't do as well because it leaves more hand sanding to be done than a spindle sander because of the lack of oscilation in a drill press

not to mention a spindle sander has a nice large surface to work on,and a $40 drill press sucks(i just bought one...utter crap)

Yeah I agree, but it's better than clamping a hand drill in a vice.. that's all I was laughing at.. :D

Yeah I agree, but it's better than clamping a hand drill in a vice.. that's all I was laughing at.. B)

Hmff..... at least I was TRYING to help (he says with an offended "nose in the air" :D )

Just kidding! I had a plug-in drill that my brother-in-law was going to throw away that I used for this improvised sander. I wouldn't use my good B&D cordless! It does work, though. You just have to be carefull, and go slow so you don't knock the drill off square.

I love improvised tools!!!

:D

• 1 month later...

I had a new thought on this, i'm sure many people have seen the control pedals for dremels and scrolls saw and such, the harder you step on the pedal the more power the saw gets till it's up to full power, i wonder if you could hook something like that up to the router? so that it only received 1/4 it's usual power that would slow it down plenty wouldn't it?

I dont know, I wouldnt mess with a router like that, unless i got one of the neighbourhood kids to "test" it out first.

and I think that if they havnt done it alreday, there must be a reason.

a friend of mine had a 2 speed router, im not sure if the second speed is faster or slower tho. probley slower.