Guitar Painting

I am going to swirl a guitar. I did a test and it probed fair. I am using enamel paint. Here are my questions...

1) What paint is best to swirl with (enamel. lacquer, car paint, house paint, etc)?

2) - when I start to put the guitar in the tub, I get a ton of paint at the start, then it swirls nice at the top. How do I stop this muck of paint when I first start to put the guitar into the bucket?

3) - If thinning enamel, what percent thinning 2- thinners --- 1 paint?

4) - to speed up the drying process, what should I add to enamel paint to dry quicker.

5) - Clear coat - What will give the best shine and buff the best?

RockOn :D

1) What paint is best to swirl with (enamel. lacquer, car paint, house paint, etc)?
Any oil based paint.

2) - when I start to put the guitar in the tub, I get a ton of paint at the start, then it swirls nice at the top. How do I stop this muck of paint when I first start to put the guitar into the bucket?

Try thining the paint out first so it doesn't clump on top of the water.

3) - If thinning enamel, what percent thinning 2- thinners --- 1 paint?

Changes from maufacturer to manufacturer due to different quality, I've used 1 to 1 with success as well as 4 parts paint to 1 part thinner

4) - to speed up the drying process, what should I add to enamel paint to dry quicker
You could try Japan Drier but really as thin a layer of paint your going for you really should not need it plus it might dry the surface of the paint before you dip.

5) - Clear coat - What will give the best shine and buff the best?

2 part Poly but you need the proper equiptment for it is my preference then again some will say lacquer, it's all about your own personal experience as far as clearcoats go.

Just my 2 cent's other's may not agree :D

• 1 month later...

i have tried all kinds of oil-based paints with no luck everything forms a skin on top of the water

these are the paints i have tried:

rustoleum oil based

testors gloss and flat

1-shot

plastikote (but after looking not sure this was a oil base)

winston artist oils thin with linseed oil to the consistency of thin milk (these didn't form a skin they just totally dispersed)

several others but can't remember them at the moment

so what do some of you that have had success at this use??

I used Humbrol enamel and it worked great for me as you can see.

pi1.jpg

The thing is: You should poor in the paint swirl it and directly dip your object.

If you wait to long the paint will form a skin and you can start all over again.

Good Luck!