Blend knob coil split

jefm

Instead of doing a full coil split would it be possible to do it with a pot??

say have the middle lug connected to the part that is normally soldered together and the others to the hot and ground sides

Actually I'm pretty sure it can be done...I'm just trying to figure out how to get the best result...

So at halfway I'd have a balanced HB and the ends I'd have full single coils...and all the fun grey area in between

Actually I was looking and I found blend pots...

Basically 2 pots on the same axis...I think that could work

i'd be curious if it could be done with a regular one though...and if linear or audio taper would be best

part of the problem you will encounter is that you have to have one hot and one ground and the other sides connected.. which works with one pot on the connected side. but what about the other side.. now if you did say a concentric pot.. then you could have the lower half work the left side of the pickups floating above ground. and have the top half working the say bottom coil alone.. since the top coil [depends on how your guitar is wired mine is top coil active bridge bottom coil neck] you can then blend the bottom coil going to the middle of the pot where one half is ground and one half is hot.

i can draw this up for you if you wish.

...at halfway I'd have a balanced HB and the ends I'd have full single coils...and all the fun grey area in between...

The only way to do that is to use a dual-ganged "blend" pot (one for each coil) - you could blend a single coil and a humbucker by using a single pot to adjust one coil while leaving the other unchanged (i guess that's what Ansil was saying). Add a series/parallel switch and you can get some very interesting results. :D

hmm no offense but where is you reference to ground.????

Oh...hahahaha

Yeah I forgot that...the top line would be the hot side the bottom would be the ground...

it's only a small bit of the circuit so it slipped my mind

I was basically just copying what I did at work...in my mind it looks like it might be good...but modifications might be necessary...that's why I put it up...someone else can look at it objectively when they aren't sleepy

...it's only a small bit of the circuit so it slipped my mind

:D

Yeah, but it's the part that'll actually make your coil cut work - so long as each pot shunts one coil to ground at the far end of it's range, it'll work fine. Linear pots will work better for this application, since you want a "balanced" blend in the center. Pretty clever idea, you should add a series/parallel switch in there for even more potential sonic "perturbrance" (is that a word?). Let us know how it works, or better yet, post sound clips!

I do have the series parallel before the coil selecting...the coil select only works when it's in series...which is fine with me

I usually do the schematics that only I look at...I usually forget things that my brain already assumes is there...so I didn't forget that I needed ground....I just forgot that nobody else would assume it was there :-)

Bad habit

So other than me forgetting to put the ground in is there anything else that stands out???

Instead of doing a full coil split would it be possible to do it with a pot??

So at halfway I'd have a balanced HB and the ends I'd have full single coils...and all the fun grey area in between

what exactly do you mean by "full single coils"? do you mean the humbucker will be coil cut into _one_ single coil, by turning the other coil off, or do you want the one humbucker converted into _two_ single coils, which is another way of saying the humbucker is wired in parallel instead of series?

if all you want is to coil cut the humbucker into one single coil using a pot, yes you can do this -- it's called a variable coil cut. you can use a normal tone control for this, and it will still work as a tone control except at the very highest position of the knob. you can also wire in a push/pull tone pot that will work as a tone control when pushed down, and a variable coil cut when pulled up.

I do have the series parallel before the coil selecting...the coil select only works when it's in series...which is fine with me

If you're going to use a blend pot to switch/blend coils, I'd make it the first thing in the circuit, connecting directly to the pickup wires. I'd also use 1Meg pots to minimize any treble loss. That will keep noise to a minimum, and allow you to do whatever coil switching you want post - blend (giving you the series/parallel option in both positions). My$.02, YMMV

Hey...An update...Unfortunately I can't track down any blend pots locally...at least not through stores...I'm going to see if I can salvage something from a garage sale next week...then maybe go online if that doesn't work

but in the meantime I got some switches...it sounds lovely...I have the switches mounted in a popsicle stick :-)

I like most of the sounds...I also rewired it to have the 2 volumes work independantly...but I don't think I like that much

I should have taken pictures of the process...

I'm going to have another 4 conductor PU soon so I think I'll have this x 2

On a side note, either washburn or hammer where doing something like this... i think it was blending a full hum to just one coil in a turning pot instead of a push pull pot.

• 3 months later...
Here you go!

Simple diagram using one dual ganged blend pot and one DPDT switch.

I tried that....

It doesn't work how I expected it...I'm not sure why I'm likely doing something odd...

Anyway...I came up with these at work...I was hoping for some proofreading

http://picserver.mirror.twistspace.com/img...096009427//mp32

I'm just wondering if my thoughts are sound...

as usual I'm sorry about my awful paint schematics...

anyway the blend pot is done with the high resistance parts towards the middle of the circuit...

also the instructions say not to ground to the case...I was curious how or if I should bother grounding them

Anyone who wants to throw an idea out or take shots at mine feel free

• 2 years later...

would it be possible to use a DPDT switch to wire individual coils from both pickups and then send that to the blend pot and blend between those single coil settings and normal humbucking mode? or is that completely not possible?

I may be a little dense right now, but I seriously don't have a clue as to what you are talking about.

Could you explain a bit more?