Champering

Im thinking to champer my guitar to make it less heavy and to better define tone and sustain with a sharper attack (almost quoting from the melvyn hiscock book :D ) but what I want to ask...Will it cause feedback problems at high gain sounds? and who agree with the discribtion of the champered tone given?

It all depends on the extent of the chambering, I did mine with two chambers that ran down the wings of the guitar and I certainly don't have a feedback problem. For me the chambering seems to knock off a little of the highs and saves a lot of weight.. I guess with bigger chambers you would notice more of a difference. It does seem to give a more "airy" sound I guess you have to play one to find out!

its chamBered!!!!! not chamPered.....lol

I wrote it chambered and I stoped and thinked about it and then it seemed wrong.

Oh well excuse my english it is not my first language.

I did mine with two chambers that ran down the wings of the guitar and I certainly don't have a feedback problem.

Thats what I plan to do...it is going to be a neckthrough.

I find it subtracts sustain. And having less sustain is what gives it more a a hollow-body sound, which I like. I also think it makes the "attack " less sharp. Although we'd have to go into what kind of wood, bridge, scale length , etc. I just know from experience that I found what I said above to be true for strats where a "swimming pool" rout had been done.

How do you think these "routed" hollow bodies that have no actual "chamber" would sound? Warmouth makes a lot of claims about them, but do the sound more "solid body" or more "thinline"? Anyone have any opinions or experience?

Did you mean this page? Think the frames caught you out :D

Interesting that, i wonder whether the 'walls' from all the individual chambers make a difference than a body with fewer, larger chambers.

Did you mean this page? Think the frames caught you out B)

Interesting that, i wonder whether the 'walls' from all the individual chambers make a difference than a body with fewer, larger chambers

Yep, those are the ones! I wonder how that happened? I always copy from the address window..... :D

It would seem that since the acoustical space is much smaller, there is less space for the sound wave to resonate around in the body and cause feedback. I'm by no means a physics wizard (chemistry is my bag), but it seems like it would be better :D

I've had a Thinline RI (japan made) once, the one with single coils (tex-mex I think?) and it had a f-hole and I never had any feedback problems with it. It sounded very thin however (despite the mahogany body), much thinner than my Am Serie Std Tele, but that might've been the pickups... I don't know!

I always thought those Warmoth swiss-cheese holes were lame. To me, you can loosely analogize to a speaker, or a string section as follows:

If a hollow chamber is like a speaker, then a jazzbox is to a 15" woofer as a semi-hollow is to a 2x10. A thinline tele or an f-holed LP or LP double cutaway is to a portable boom box, and the Warmoth body is like 100 pairs of earphones.

If a hollow chamber is like a string section, then a jazzbox is to a string bass as the semi-hollow is to a cello. The thinline is to a viola as the Warmoth body is to 100 1/4 size kids violins.

Or how about motors? A jazzbox is to a diesel 18 wheel truck as the Warmoth is to 100 electric toothbrushes.

Or the Jazzbox is to a huge horsefly as the Warmoth is to 1000 mosquitos? The fun never ends! :D

I find it subtracts sustain. And having less sustain is what gives it more a a hollow-body sound, which I like. I also think it makes the "attack " less sharp. Although we'd have to go into what kind of wood, bridge, scale length , etc. I just know from experience that I found what I said above to be true for strats where a "swimming pool" rout had been done.

Are you sure it subtracts sustain?...I only suspected that the extra vibration would remove energy from the string but I always heard ( or thought I heard) that chambering increases sustain.

not to get off topic too much, but the Zakk Wylde LP bullseye, image if the bullseye was chambered with a clear top? that would be an INSANE guitar

Wow, i just went totally stupid there, lol

Curtis

I find it subtracts sustain.  And having less sustain is what gives it more a a hollow-body sound, which I like. I also think it makes the "attack " less sharp.  Although we'd have to go into what kind of wood, bridge, scale length , etc. I just know from experience that I found what I said above to be true for strats where a "swimming pool" rout had been done.

Are you sure it subtracts sustain?...I only suspected that the extra vibration would remove energy from the string but I always heard ( or thought I heard) that chambering increases sustain.

In my own experience, and in my own thoughts about it, I'm quite sure. Doesn't it go something like : Less mass= less sustain ? So, if I have a solid alder body and then take some of it away, it should cause less sustain. Having really done just that, I can say it does seem to take away sustain, but added some kind of tone that I liked. It's not all about sustain. If it was we'd want guitars made out of metal.

I also notice that when I bolt a guitar to my set-up jig (which is a piece of wood on a metal stand), the guitar has more sustain.

And am I the only one that thinks an acoustic has less sustain than a solid-body electric ?

One nice thing about an electric, is you can make it more hollow-body sounding by chambering, etc, but then you can get added sustain from the amp/effects.