wiring a 2 wire hum into a Strat

webster

Hi,

i hope im not asking a question that has been asked before, even though i know it probably has if i it isnt a stupid question but i have looked at the ProjectGuitar site with no luck.

I have a squire guitar, 3 single pickups with 1 vol and 2 tone with 5 way switch. I need to install a humbucker into the bridge position. I've done all the hard work and the pickup in installed except for the wiring.

The humbucker has three wires plus a ground wire. They are red green and white. Sorry i cant give the brand cos its all at work, i wish i could remember but all i know it is pretty crap. So anyway, the pickup came with the red and white wires soldered together so i im guessing they need to stay that way.

I soldered the ground on and i was playing around with the green wire on parts of the switch and the pickup gave sound if i put the wire on three different contact points i which these were

|*| | |*|*|*| | |

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 (there is a chance that 1, 3, 4 and 5 work but i cant remember for sure) :D

The points 4 and 5 were connected together and already have wires on them, wires are also on all the other places that didnt work.

I had the switch all the way down when i was playing around with the wire.

The problem i have is that on all those points that worked i got a very bad buzz. What am i doing wrong?

Thanks

Matt Webster

the two that are soldered together.. dont' go anywhere.. put some electrical tape on them.. ground to ground green to hot. unless you want coil tapping. which is waht it sounds like you got..

also by looking at your switch drawing you have a different switch than most.. it seems to be it was a double pole swithc.. so essentially you have two switchs in one.

one side does the basic swithcing ant the other does stuff like coil tapping or removing or adding the eq circuit.

most of the time.. you have the first lug is pickup one second lug is pickup two and third lug is pickup three. with the fourth lug being the output. and then depending on how you wire it. but the fith lug - the eighth lug is reversed from the previous description. so its like this.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

p1 p2 p3 OUT OUT p3 p2 p1

howyou wire it dependson what you wish to do to it..

for instance. like this is standard wiring with coil cutting.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

p1 p2 p3 OUT ground nc red and white nc

now you get humbucking in bridge and coil splititng. in the 2 posistion