GCSE Electronics - Urgent help needed!

ttruscott

I'm planning to build a foot pedal for my GCSE electronics. The problem is, neither my teacher or I have any idea where to start or how they work!

I can only build a simple foot pedal that can switch distorition on and off, but I'm not sure how to make the electronics...

I guess that it needs op-amps and it works by creating a sound like _¦¯¦_¦¯¦_¦¯¦_ rather than a smooth curve you would expect normally.

I'm sorry if this has been started alreay or it isn't the place for it, but im a complete newbie!

Could you send me some help with other sites or ANYTHING you know - coz it's guaranteed to be more than me!

I think a good place to start would be diystompboxes.com.

There's a lot to getting a good distortion pedal though. Look into the intermodulation distortion vs. harmonic distortion issue if you really are looking for quality. There are also a couple of guys here that play around with this stuff a lot. Hopefully one of them will reply.

Good luck.

I'm planning to build a foot pedal for my GCSE electronics. The problem is, neither my teacher or I have any idea where to start or how they work!

I can only build a simple foot pedal that can switch distorition on and off, but I'm not sure how to make the electronics...

I guess that it needs op-amps and it works by creating a sound like _¦¯¦_¦¯¦_¦¯¦_ rather than a smooth curve you would expect normally.

I'm sorry if this has been started alreay or it isn't the place for it, but im a complete newbie!

Could you send me some help with other sites or ANYTHING you know - coz it's guaranteed to be more than me!

hey man email me and i will see if i can help you i got a dozen basic designs you could play with that use only one chip and ahandfull of parts.. can be working in less than half an hour.

austenfantanio@yahoo.com

You might want to check out Justin Philpott's Beginners Page and RG Keen's Geofex site for info on distortion units and how to build one. Also check the beginner's forum on Aron's DIY Stompbox site (the site daveq mentioned). There are also some very cool ,if somewhat more complicated, designs available at Runoff Groove, including perfboard layouts and sound samples. HTH

Thanks for the help, I'll hav a look at these sites (and any more anyone has) and I'll keep you posted with my progress (I will begin construction in December though). I need to get some designs drawn up, starting with something ridiculously stupid (like a splitter) building up to the final design.

No luck with the geocites link!

Ok if your looking to make a distortion stomp box then the best site you can posablly read to start of with IMHO is this

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/v2/ric...tion/index.html

explains everything you need to make a very simple box

if i remember rightlly from doing my GCSE Electronics then you have to have a minimum of three different active components. so if you had a little booster circuit at the front of the box maybe something like a mosfet booster http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/mosboost/mosboost.htm and then an active tone control using an op amp then that should be your three components sorted.

btw the hardest part of the whole thing is the write up. in my first draft of the write up i got 27 out of 100 lol, spent 2 days working on it and got myself 89/100 which was a bit better tho only got an A at results

oh one more thing. if you have a chance to stay on and do AS or A level electronics then do it, it goes over a fair bit of stuff on op amp filter circuits and mosfet amplifiers, is quite interesting and is alot easier than GCSE in alot of ways. im fairlly confident of an A at AS lol

nehu, hope all that helps and good luck with the GSCE, ifyouever need any help then feel free to email me

G.John @t etoncollege.org.uk

JG

I think that my school is planning to do the systems and controls course next year. im gonna be one of the last guys to do the "proper" electronics course if you get what i mean lol.

i dont really like the whole digital side of things, much prefer my analogue stuff. my AS project was a guitar amp however it wasnt anything special lol.

lol, cue you two bitching about the questions that you got wrong now

btw guys, remember that the guy who started this post has to know how the circuits work. pointing the schems is fine but there's no point giving someone a tube screamer circuit if they dunno how the hell it works lol