Inlay idea

I had an idea for a guitar that I'm planning on building. It's going to be a red'ish quilt top with maple neck and maple fretboard. I thought it might be interesting to do a long stem rose (red - with thorns and all) up the fretboard. I can see it being taken two ways: 1) sweet looking 2) gay

Put aside the issues of implementing it for now (the maple fretboard inlay job,...) - I just would like some thoughts on the level of fem. Sorry if my comments offend anyone - I'm not sure how else to put it.

Thanks,

Dave

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK then, I think I'll look into finding the supplies for it. If everyone replied that it was gay then I would have reconsidered but so far it looks like it has possibilities. I just don't want it to look like a powder-puff guitar since that aint my style :D.

Thanks for the input.

My only concern is in the design. A long-stemmed rose is usually also fairly straight-stemmed. The way I'm visualizing it, you're just going to have this long line up the middle of the fretboard with some thorns on it, which won't be very eye-catching. I suppose there ARE leaves on rose stems, though. I'd draw it up before I bought supplies. (oh, and post some pics of the sketch. :D )

And whats wrong with it looking gay *poses with handbag*

lol but seriously, i think it could look cool yeah - theres nothing wrong with a hint of feminine.

(do take into account this advice is coming from a guy who owned a jem 777sk - "pink is a mans colour, honest")

Hi Daveq,

In my personal opinion, you should more things to worry about in this world than the opinion of some ignoramous who thinks your fretboard looks "gay" or "fem".

And if they give you a bad time and you want a come back, tell them "I'm man enough to play this guitar. Are you?"

Do your artwork from your heart, and play your guitar from the same place. Let the idiots be idiots. You can't stop them.

Guitar Ed

my $0.03 worth

Is it your guitar? If so then why are you worrying about what others think?

I have seen dozens and dozens of fretboards with roses and or variations of roses and flowers on them. Many were acoustic, many electric. None looked overly feminin, and who cares if they did? Inlay is about beauty, eye candy, and self expression. If it floats your boat then act as captain.

Sorry to sound a little rough, but art is about ideas. Not others opinions B)

Fire at will..

:D

Craig Lavin

I think this may be another case of people judging others character by the bits and pieces of what is posted here. I really wanted nothing more than a pool of opinions on what they thought of the idea. It has nothing to do with my confidence, nothing to do with true art, none of that. It was just a gathering of thoughts on the idea since I was riding the fence on this one. I think there's been a few too many Oprah shows airing lately - sheesh! :D

Is it your guitar? If so then why are you worrying about what others think?

I have seen dozens and dozens of fretboards with roses and or variations of roses and flowers on them. Many were acoustic, many electric. None looked overly feminin, and who cares if they did? Inlay is about beauty, eye candy, and self expression. If it floats your boat then act as captain.

Sorry to sound a little rough, but art is about ideas. Not others opinions :D

Fire at will..

:D

Craig Lavin

OK, since you opened the invitation. B) JK, but I do have a counter-opinion.

A lot of times in life and on this forum in particular, people are told to disregard what others think, 'as long as you like it'. However, there's nothing wrong with asking for others' perspectives, and no shame in using others as sounding boards to clarify one's own thoughts.

Somebody draws up a plan for a guitar, and shows it to another person for their opinion. They say "Jeez, dude, that top horn is way disproportionate. I think the design looks really off balance." Well now the designer has something to think about, and perhaps the viewer's opinion is valid. He shows the same design to a few more people-- one or two absolutely love it, but another few keep voicing the same concern about the top horn.

Does he have to modify it to suit the people who don't like it? Of course not, but if he's canvassed for opinions of knowledgable people, it's worth at least considering their advice. Gibson didn't ditch the SG just because Les Paul didn't really like it. But they DID end up successfully marketing... the Les Paul.

Greg

Lol. People are telling this guy to "not worry if others make assumptions about you and your character based upon this tiny decision of yours", yet they themselves seem to assume that this guy is not very self confident and so on. Kind of funny, IMO.

A common technique for writing computer code is before even starting, bouncing various approaches off another programmer. When you have the two heads with completely different approaches to the same problem, you can save many lines of code, and make a better program in the end.

$.02 :D

If done right I don't think it'll look Gay

If done right, I still think it'll look gay :D

j/k but I think the point about a thin line running up the fretboard is definately something to keep in mind. Isn't everyone in this thread acting a bit blood thirsty today? :D

How about cutting the design out of paper and laying it on the fret board to see what you think. That way you'll know whether to open the beer or have a shandy B)

I guess I assumed a wrong approach to my response. Yes of course it's fine to ask others opinions, In any forum. It was the "would it look too ( fill in the blank)" that threw me off a tad bit! I was hesitant to post on it, but I feel pretty strongly about doing what you like, and really not worrying about what others think when it comes to something soley personal like inlay, which won't reall effect the other attributes of the guitar.

Regarding flowers as masculine, the traditional vine is a flower based inlay, and that has been one of the most repeated inlays in the world.

Hopefully no harm done to anyone, that wasn't my goal!

Craig.

No harm - it's hard to judge these situations from just reading the text and not hearing it in person or knowing anything about the person who wrote it. I think most people here understand what you meant and also understand that I'm just getting some opinions before making my decision.

I'm going to draw it up and see if it looks OK or not. I'm also considering a less complicated inlay for it. Once the fretboard is radiused and slotted, I'll hold a couple of drawings up next to it and try to decide.

Thanks for the replies.

I still feel "whatever floats your boat" to make it work. Its your guitar, if you want a pink guitar covered in pink roses then thats your thing. Personally, I would think its the kind of guitar Bonnie Rait would be playing. But there are other ways you can use roses to give people the right impression. A yellow rose on a natural maple tele would give a country and western theme, while deep red roses with maybe a skull in the vicinity would suggest a heavy metal idea.

Roses are nice when done properly and those mature enough will recognize good craftmanship over something that just looks "faggy", not that theres anything wrong with that... But I wouldn't drive a pink car! :D

I just don't want to have to hear the majority of people say "cool but that inlay is a little strange for that guitar". I do care what people think. Not to the point where I don't have opinions of my own but I do like to share my work with others and find it rewarding to build something that others enjoy as well. I don't see anything wrong with just doing your own thing and screw what other people think - it's just not me.

I see it the same way as asking about the outline shape of a body design. People are always asking for input on their designs - if others opinions are valuable to you - nothing wrong with that right?