My first project ever!

I am starting on my first project over. Wish me luck!

My plans

-Sand it down do I can remove all the little scratches and dents.

-Paint it black.

-It seems like it was a strat.

-Replace pickguard with a custom cut out metal one (already cut out the main body frame, have to go back and cut out holes for knobs and pickups.)

-Replace the three single coils pickups with two EMG-H(hopefully will win the bet on ebay) and put those in.

-Becuase this is my first project just put in a volume knob.

-Also getting a new neck that looks like the Jackson one from ebay of course.

My questions are....

-What is the best way to wire up EMG with only a volume knob? I think having a tone would be way to hard for me to do.

-Which Knobs should I buy that work best with EMG-H.

Thanks everyone.

I was thinking of two EMH HZ, but I heard that the EMG 81+85 will give me a better sound. Is there any other good Hard Rock pickups out there?

keep in mind that emg 81 and 85 pickups are active.

bill lawrence L500-XL is a great hard rock pickup. it's the one dimebag darrell originally used, before seymour duncan paid him to endorse their copy of it.

what does active mean?

active means it has a built in preamp which allows a lower output pickup to be boosted into becoming high output...it also means it uses a battery...they are great pickups

if you want to stay with passive pickups,i don't like the hz at all...i love the active line but the passive emgs are noisy and shrill

good passive pickups for hard rock up to metal include the duncan jb,the duncan custom,dimarzio evolution,tone zone,and many others as well.

i don't like the dimebucker for anything except metal because of it's super sharp attack,and if the lawrence pickup is the same(which i don't personally know) then i wouldn't use it for hard rock either

the absolute best passive pickups i think are the stock gibson pickups that come with the 67 v...496r and 500t

hey,

i just put a dimarzio set in my homemade rhoads v. i put a super distorion in the bridge and a PAF pro in the neck. its a amazing setup. the super distortion has loads of gain but is not muddy. and the PAF is a lower gain sorta gibson les paul sound. i think you would love the super distortion but i dont know if you would like the PAF it might not have enough gain for you, but the super distortion certiinly will.

you should look at some other pickups to. i would recomend:

-seymour JB or dimebucker

-dimarzio super distortion, evolution or super 3

-gibson pickups

check out some other brands, most companys have sound clips on there sites. i would go woth a passive pickup, i dont like active nes personally dont want to bather changing baterys. good luck pot any questions.

matt

Thanks for the help everyone. Does any one know what Tom Morello uses in his guitar the black fender that has soul power written on it?

But from tips, I think I am going to go with dimarzio evolution for the neck and seymour dimebucker for the bridge. Would that be a good combination?

i don't know if that is a good combination or not...the dimebucker is much more aggresive and tight than what tool or rammstein sounds like

i think if you want an evolution for the neck then go with a set of dimarzios...i would go evolution for the bridge and tone zone for the neck

i dont like active nes personally dont want to bather changing baterys.

as far as being bothered changing batteries,it is only about once a year...if you are that lazy,i don't know that guitar building is for you :D

the dimebucker is much more aggresive and tight than what tool or rammstein sounds like

I don't want to copy there music, and what is wrong with aggresive?

What type of aggresive you mean, could you name a band?

Lucky I am still sanding and working on the pickguard, so I have time to choose which pickups.

I don't want to copy there music, and what is wrong with aggresive?

What type of aggresive you mean, could you name a band?

nothing is wrong with aggresive...if you are an aggresive player...but the dimebucker is a very one dimensional sound...it sounds JUST LIKE what dimebag sounds like

i put one on my sabre once and it was great,but it made me sound like dimebag...

look,go here and listen to the clips...that is what an emg 81 sounds like...the dimebucker sounds like that except with a more focused lower end(i think too focused) and screaming(and i mean SCREAMING)highs...

it is a good pickup,but it doesn't sound like what you are looking for based on what you said...i was under the impression you wanted a small bit of versatility