My first Nut Job!

True blue Newbie question here. I'm doing my first build, tele thinline. I have an All Parts neck which came without a nut, so I'm getting ready to do my first nut job. I'd like to put a bone nut in and I have some blanks, but they are squared up and don't match the radius curve of the slot. So here's the Newbie question of the day: Do I need to square up the slot by filing it down a little bit, or do I need to radius the bottom of the nut to fit the curve?

Some great links and suggestions. I think I may have to just file it out flat and start from there, mainly because the slot has been sprayed with the nitrocellulose finish and seems now to be too narrow for the 1/8" nut, also...it seems to me that the surface that the nut is glue to should be slightly roughed up for better adhesion.

I found these over at www.warmoth.com. They have everything you need to cut, slot and glue your nut in.

NBCB Fender Curved Bone $3.75 ea. 1/8” thick nut for curved bottom nut slots. Fits nut widths up to 1-11/16” (42.85mm). This nut fits our Total Vintage Construction, PBass®, JBass®, Mustang, and Baritone Conversion necks.

NBCG Fender Curved Graphite $3.75 ea. 1/8” thick nut for curved bottom nut slots. Fits nut widths up to 1-3/4” (44.45mm). This nut fits our Total Vintage Construction, PBass®, JBass®, Mustang, and Baritone Conversion necks.

NBCN Fender Curved Nickel

(18% hard

nickel/silver) $6.50 ea. 1/8” thick nuts for curved bottom nut slots. These come in two widths: 1-3/4” & 1 7/8”. These nuts fit our Total Vintage Construction, PBass®, JBass®, Mustang, Baritone Conversion and Deluxe 5 necks.

Have fun! :D