sustain

ansil

sustainfeedbackdevice.jpg

finally got around to posting this at the forum new electronic sustainor with a synth like feedback. still awip. but very closely coming out of prototype stages.

Great stuff, Ansil

I admire your work (I wish I could do that!)

As you may have guessed, I believe that

The world needs more sustain *

best of luck :D

psw B)

*maybe it's because I go on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and so &*%&^* ON !

Cool, whats the difference between this one and your sustainer modification in the tutorials section of the project guitat site?

this is actually taking the guitar input from say a distortion or overdrive pedal and sustaining it by using it to trigger an oscilator and looping the osilators output to the input. now normally this would cause feedback on say an opamp or regular amplifier. but since this is just triggering the oscilator at the freq that it is already playing it continuously plays back the same note.

you could stop playing and it will continue to repeat it. [as long as that was the last revision.. hope so..]

so its kind of like using your guitar to trigger a synth note of the same pitch and then using the output of that note to retrigger the same note.

now there are some drawbacks, no fast playing or it will just loose its mind. this too is interesting but i dont' know how musical it is.

It doesn't cause feedback on this circuit because the output is getting fed back into the input but it is not boosting the signal like an op amp or other amplifier would. Is that right or do I have incorrect understanding here? It certainly looks good. What do you mean by synth note, is it a great deal different sound from the original note that is being sustained. Thats interesting that it will feedback and sustain the note you last played even if you are no lnger freting it. How does it perform with chords? Hmm, the way I see it is that you wouldn't use a sustainer for fast playing but what kind of things happen when it "looses it's mind"? Is there also a way (like with the sustainer pickups) you could ad a way of changing the note to become a harmonic feedback as well as the natural note? Would you need to feed it through some sort of amplifier for this? Thats good stuff Ansil.

Hey guys,

I just ordered the 555 timer, so I will try this out in a bit.... but what if this circuit were to be controlled by two footswitches. A dpdt temporary switch on the input, and a regular dpdt to bypass the circuit entirely. In other words, Have it so that you can select when the circuit "grabs" a note. And then just sum that with the input from the guitar with a zero gain 741 right after. Just a thought.

-Vadim

*noticed misspellings

yes vadim that is correct it will work that way.

biohazard i didint' get a chance to try the chords on this thing i am currently trying to get a rig up and running. and i am still not in the shop.

but have you listened to the ugly face over at tims site. a site i post quite freqenly.

http://www.geocities.com/tpe123/folkurban/fuzz/snippets.html

it can realy only duplicate one note at a time. however if you combine different freqencies it will summ or add the freq.

Ansil, you rock!! :D

I still haven't quite figured out how it works, but it makes some of the most beautifully broken howling sounds!! Unfortunately I broke my only 555 rewiring my breadboard of this toy, but it's definitely on my list of things to "tweak out when I have some time". Cool tool, you need to add an envelope follower so it tracks the input amplitude, and make a production unit out of it. I ran my cheap Yamaha synth through it with a brass patch, and it was totally outah-spayce! The Looper crowd would love this thing!!

you can fiddle with the pin no. four to help it work a bit better, its the internal reset pin. and if you apply control voltage to pin five ti will changet the pitch.