I need help with lighting my guitar

monkey96692000

Hi,

Can anyone help me. I want to make a power pack in the back of my Les Paul and have about 17 flood lights on the front of the guitar to light up. I dont care if it lights up just for a few min., but i would like it to be really bright. Can anyone help with my situation. Plus i know Ace Frehley has the UFO guitar. Thats where i got the idea from.

If you just want a flash, you could probably use the guts from a disposable camera flash - obvious high voltage disclaimers apply (ie., it's not safe if you don't know what you're doing, you could kill or seriously injure yourself and/or others, and if you do, I'm not responsible because it was all your idea! <ahttp://www.projectguitar.com/uploads/emoticons/default_biggrin.png' alt=':D'> ). If you want an actual spotlight, you could look around for ultrabright white LED flashlight clusters like the cavers use for helmet lights. Some of them are not only quite bright, but run for a fairly long time at 6 volts (4 D batteries). OddOne's White LED Information site might help you get started.

ahh come on its only 330 volts.. thats all..

ok here it is look at Ace's Guitar

Ace Frehley UFO

now i want to know what battery to use how to do the wiring and what electronics need to go into it for it to work. The lights sould be pretty bright. Also the batteries need to be household. The cost should be around 100- 150 US dollors. I want the battery case in the back of the guitar. So its a separate source from the amp, but if its easier to use the amp for power tell me how to hook that up. Basically the UFO guitar is what i want to recreate but with a new color and tint.

so do the lights actually alternate?, also to light those floodlights you probably would need to plug it into the power socket in the local vicinity. first of all, this increases the danger during the creation of the project since you would need to be working with 120 volts. also this increses the chances (especially if its a shady wiring job) of being shocked or killed while on stage/practicing/rehearsing. so you would probably be better of with bright LEDs. the bright ones are quite bright, and they compare to flood lights quite well. and to make them look big just find a plastic cover and cover the holes with them. that would scatter the light from the led (kinda like the lights in a car)

Sorry, but it's time for a reality check - if I understand you correctly, all you want to do is duplicate the effect built into a $10,000 guitar made by a master luthier for about $150.00, with the further constraint that it uses common "household" batteries, and you basically need someone to tell you exactly how to do it. Before you bow up and get angry, I'm not being sarcastic or putting you down, but that's a pretty tall order, don't you think? I'm not sure it can be done, at least not for that price, with anywhere near satisfying results. You could probably do a row of LEDs around the edge of your guitar with some kind of chase circuit to control them, but even that is going to take some careful planning and is going to be fairly expensive if you have to have someone else do it. I'm not saying you should abandon the idea entirely, but you might want to try something a bit less ambitious - wiring up a few spotlights is relatively easy, but sequencing a couple dozen is... well, let's just say there's a reason why Steve Carr's getting those prices for his customs. Start by deciding what the bare minimum you can live with is (like 6 small bright lights with an on/off switch, or whatever), and work forward from there. Sorry, I'm sure that wasn't what you wanted to hear, but with a little compromise maybe you've got a shot at making something work.

I sent you a PM with some questions and things that I need to know in order to help you.

This seems to be a popular topic lately. I'll see about copying my pics and what I have for a tutorial this weekend. I see that there are new sections now (Forum Tutorials and Reference) - can people just add tutorials on their own or do we need to run it by Brian first?