Pickup suggestions

JamesRaven23

Hey everyone, I have V7 and V8 pickups in my guitar( Ibanez RG320).. they're a bit too trebly and the distortion sounds too wet. Can anyone recommend a set of good sounding (and affordable) pick ups? I'm looking to spend under $40 for a used pair on ebay. Also, does anyone know what would happen if I only upgraded one of my pickups.. would it have a nasty sound?

Thanks,

James

You might have trouble getting the pickups you've got for that price - there simply aren't any really good, really cheap pickups that I'm aware of. Maybe Kent Armstrongs or Mighty Mites, but you'll still be lucky to pick up a pair for $40.00. Those Ibanez pickups aren't bad, have you tried reworking your amp settings?

Thanks, for the suggestions. Um, I have tried adjusting the settings on my amp but that doesn't really help much... it's still too muddy and doesnt have enough warmth. If $40 wont get me much then what is the lowest I should expect to pay for a decent pair of humbuckers? So what about replacing only one humbucker? Is that a good idea?

Thanks.

James

Look to spend $100, at least. If you get out for less than that, consider yourself lucky. Kent Armstrongs are considered crappy by a lot of people, but I've used various models over the years and haven't been disappointed with them. Most go for $25-45 each. DiMarzios and Duncans are pretty much the standards, but expect to spend $55-75 each on pickups.

Replacing only one pickup is a viable solution, especially if you only use one pickup most of the time.

Kent Armstrongs are considered crappy by a lot of people, but I've used various models over the years and haven't been disappointed with them.

I haven't heard one person say that they're crappy. Of course, I don't usually visit Harmony Central's "reviews", instead relying on the word of people on various forums.

i would go with the duncans because if you want a warm sound Les Pauls have great warm sounds with them in. I think it would also have a good warm sound with a strat style guitar too from what my friend says. So duncan i think is the place to go. If you have a guitar center near you they sell them reasonable because they are packaged by guitar center so you dont pay for a comapny box.

Well if you're going to duncans might as well save up a few more weeks and buy emg's. They are clarity meets big balls meets warmth. Love em, hate the price. You'll pay at least a 100 a pickup. Go with the 85's. If you decide to go with Seymours you'll be sounding great as well. And Kent Armstrong pickups aren't bad pickups they're just affordable. Most people couldn't tell the difference between two pickups if it bit 'em in the...

Hey, James, are you sure you have a V7 and a V8? I thought they only put PowerSound pickups in the RG320, and my old Ibanez catalogs seem to agree. If that's the case, you'll probably notice a lot of difference with Kent Armstrongs! That's why I asked about your amp, the V7 and V8 in my old RG550 sounded great, so I couldn't figure out why yours sounded so much worse. :D

Personally i find that the Seymour Duncan JB is the PERFECT pickup for me. It has plenty of gain, but not too much. And it also has a rare thing nowadays, its called TONE!!! Unlike 90% of the High Gain pickups on the market these pickups just sounds sooo good. I definetly suggest playing a guitar with a JB in it.

Yep, I'm certain they're V7 and V8's, they're labelled as v7 and v8 right on top :D Um, I believe the RG320 originally came with them installed, but newer 320's now have powersound pickups... I'm assuming because powersound's sound better. Maybe your v7 and v8's have a nicer sound because your RG also has a single coil pick up.. but i'm just a newbie so I could be wrong. I have no complaints with the pickups under clean channel but the distortion sounds harsh and nasty when playing chords and have no warmth or personality whatsoever... they dont sound as bad when picking individual notes but they're still too trebbly even with the trebble way down. I dont believe my amp is the problem, I have a Fender Frontman 38w, my friend has plugged his srat squire into it and it had a really good distorted sound. I'm not going for a really specific sound or style of music so I'm looking for pick ups that are versatile and can be modified nicely with different pedals. Well, I really cant afford to spend too much right now especially since I'm just starting out.....a few people have suggested Kent Armstrongs as a good choice and not too expensive either so I'll have to put them on the top of my list and keep searching ebay.

Thanks,

James

Yep, I'm certain they're V7 and V8's, they're labelled as v7 and v8 right on top :D Um, I believe the RG320 originally came with them installed, but newer 320's now have powersound pickups... I'm assuming because powersound's sound better.

Nope, you got the good ones - the Powersounds are the "economy" models they use(d) in the RX series and the cheaper RGs. Cool, you need to have what makes you happy! B)

Of course, I don't usually visit Harmony Central's "reviews", instead relying on the word of people on various forums.

So do I, and the word I get from most people is "crap". Like I already said, I've used Armstongs in several guitars and have always liked them. A lot of people just assume that since they're made overseas that they suck.