neckthroug question

so im already in the design phases of my next project, which will be a neckthrough bass guitar. now my question is that because my finger board ends about 2 inches to the inside of the body, should that part of the neck/fretboard (between the edge of the body and the end of the fb) be tapered, and ofyes, how can do i glue the wings on with a part of the center of the body being tapered.

now i know this sounds confusing, but i need an answer :D

lpjdemo.jpg

The left hand side shows how the neck would be shaped. The right side shows how it would look with the fretboard on it. You could taper the neck and fretboard at the same time, but you might have problems attaching the sides. It's best to keep the center block area squared and slightly wider than te fretboard. You can then come back once the sides are glued on and shape that area by hand.

*EDIT*

To clarify, you can come back and shape the NECK TO BODY JOINT area by hand.

nice drawing there, so i understand that i should taper the area at the end pf the fretboard beforte i glue, and taper the rest normally.

thanls for your advice, and joining just to post on myt thread, :D

edit: i might actually just not taper the end, the difference between the end of the fb and the width of the fb at the edge of the body is only 1/10th of an inch...

this advice seems to be all over the map...

neck angle depends on alot of factors...angling it 1 to 2 degrees won't make sure of anything except that you may have to shim the bridge if you do it and don't need it

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=4599

go there and alot of these questions are answered

look at how i made the neck heel square,glued the wings on,then shaped the neck joint after

also do a search on neck angles,there are about 100 topics answering it fully in more detail than i have time for

I have built twenty something neck thru basses, all with a fully tapered neck- tapered the same as the fretboard, I have not had any problems with glue ups. the angle isn't really that extreme. i see no reason- please give me one if you all think there is- why this should not be done.

Peace,

Ryan

I have built twenty something neck thru basses, all with a fully tapered neck- tapered the same as the fretboard, I have not had any problems with glue ups. the angle isn't really that extreme. i see no reason- please give me one if you all think there is- why this should not be done.

Peace,

Ryan

i see no reason not to...in fact it is better that way