Jump to content

neck and grounding


Recommended Posts

Ok, i cant get a brass pickgaurd to use as a ground, so i have a piece of ASH that i got cut and sanded for it, now my electronic cavity runs almost to the neckjoint, can i drill a hole to it and use one of the neck bolts as a ground?

Curtis

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Curtis,

Grounding a TOM is usually easy. Depending on where the control cavity is located you can come in thru there or thru the bridge pickup cavity. Drill a hole from one of those into the TOM post holes. Run a ground wire from a good solid ground (a vol/tone control pot etc. ) into the TOM post hole. Be sure to strip the wire enough so that you make contact with the knurled part of the TOM mountin post. Pressing the mount into place will make contact with the ground wire and effectivly ground your strings. Hope this helps.

Rubin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I read it wasnt very safe to ground the bridge, do to electrical shock when playing. Is that somthing we should worrie about?

it isnt if the place where you are playing isnt properly grounded. and if you are worried about this, then place a light fuse on the wire so that it burns out if you do get a shock. also ultimately the grounds lead to the jack socket.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I read it wasnt very safe to ground the bridge, do to electrical shock when playing. Is that somthing we should worrie about?

ALL passive guitars ground the bridge...

if you go active,there is no need

i have only been shocked by a passive guitar which was not properly grounded

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's a big bonus (along with many others) with using actives. I think there's a product available that tests the equipment (amp, ...) to see if it is grounded properly. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Something you just plug in and it gives you the status.

I know most people are already familiar with this topic but for those who are not - even if you properly wire and ground the electronics in your guitar - if you plug into equipment that is not wired/grounded properly all of your excellent wiring skills won't save you. Sorry - I guess I'm in a preaching kind of mood today :D.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think I read that you can wire a cap in right before the output that will reduce the shock so it's not really damaging, but it won't mess with your sound. I don't know a lot about electronics, I just read schematics and wire up, so I don't know if this would work, or what value cap you'd need. Anybody with more info would be appreciated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good...I'm planning on going wireless in the next month or so anyway. Whenever I get the money. I think I'm gonna get the Samson UHF guitar wireless that's supposed to run on a AAA for 14 hours.

Are you taliking about the small bug with the antenna(no pack and cord)?

Also to answer the first question...

I heard that wiring a certain value resistor and capacitor in parallel with the ground can eliminate getting shocked by poorly grounded arenas or whereever you gig. I don't know for sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

it's called a Circuit Tester

No, I'm talking about something that is made for musicians who don't know a meter from their a**. I'll see if I can find it. I can't imagine you average guitarist knowing how to test something like that with a circuit tester. Zaap!!! I thought I remembered seeing an advertisement for a product that you just plug into the amp (and maybe the outlet as well?) and it gave you an indication of the grounding status with a green or red LED. I don't know where I saw it though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I heard that wiring a certain value resistor and capacitor in parallel with the ground can eliminate getting shocked by poorly grounded arenas or whereever you gig.  I don't know for sure.

This is partly true. What this does is limit the voltage to about 40 volts. You will still get shocked if the outlet is not grounded properly but it will not kill you. The resistor value is 220k and the capacitor value is .001 yf (micrfarad). Make sure everything is rated for at least 500 volts. It is better than nothing but the outlet tester is the best way to go. Just test it and don't plug in if it isn't grounded.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...