how in the heck?

A cheap and easy (ier) alternative to actually fitting abalone , or other, "disks" is to use some plastic dowelling. You don't have to worry about getting that exact hole depth and mess around trying to evenly insert your inlay. Just drill the right diameter hole to 1/16 - 1/8" deep, a drop of super glue in the hole, insert the dowelling and cut it off flush to the surface. Then lightly sand. This works well for side markers, that is, if you aren't fussy about the material. Where to find the material? Dunno! Let me know when you find out!

Stewmac sells the rods for the side markers, but not the "top" inlays

I think you mean Warmoth, right? I have not seen any side dot material in "rod" form from stewmac. They do sell small pieces for side dots but not in rod/dowel form. I know Warmoth sells the plastic material in rods. If I missed where stewmac has it, please let me know.

While we're at it - Does anyone know where to find hardwood dowels/rods of more exotic species to use for fingerboard dot markers (top, not side)? I'd like to avoid using plastic or pearl/alabone for inlay and have been wondering if I could find some nice hardwood dowels of a species that would sufficiently contrast a Macassar Ebony fingerboard and that doesn't require a finish. If not, I think I'll go with a clean/no inlay look for the top of the fingerboard of this (my first project) and just use small plastic or pearl side dot markers.

Thanks for the info. Why in the hell don't they put that in the same place as the other god damn side dot material or at least the inlay section!!!!??? I've been burnt by similar issues in the past with them. They are a great company but these things really bug me.

Or why is it so hard to ship through UPS or something? (I'm in B) ). I'm not too excited about ordering 500$ of stuff and wait 4 weeks to receive it with no tracking service and no insurance... :D

And damn it, I'm 30 minutes away from USA yet I can't order nitro in a spray can because I'm "international"...

Sorry, just venting :D

If you are desperate for side dot material, you can sharpen a colored pencil, stick it into the hole and break it off (or use a razor saw), sharpen again and do the next hole, etc etc. then sand them flush. I heard of someone doing this when they had a neck that needed some red side dots, and of course there wasn't any red plastic rod around, so they used a red pencil.

For years I've been planning to do the Danny Gatton mod where you replace the side dots with fake diamonds. Supposedly you can see them in low light as long as there's a light somewhere around that they sparkle from.

hey nice idea! Search Ebay for cubic zirconium...

Hmm loose gemstones is a very intereting category!

mmmmm - just bagged me some abalone and rubies!