Had to turn down a job

I hate doing this but sometimes there are basic necessities in life that have to be addressed, namely...MONEY. The guy wants someone he can train for staining, sanding and shooting laquer on cabinets etc. I mean, this is a golden opportunity to further my knowledge in the guitar finishing area. Unfortunately, hes hired some "buffoons" in the past who talked the talk but couldn't walk the walk. So hes not taking any chances and only offering 8 bucks an hour. I fully understand where hes coming from and, in turn, I had to be honest with him. I'm 45 yrs old and 8 bucks an hour just doesn't cut it, got too many bills to deal with. So I guess I'll be starting with another job offer tomorrow, roof tearoffs for 12 bucks an hour, yay.

a lot of people lowball you until they see if you are going to be dependable or not...

Yeah, and then a lot of people lowball you for a 30. 60, 0r 90 day period under the assumption that once the 'period' is over, you will be given your proper wages.

Then when the day comes, they hem and haw and say next week, yada yada yada, my accountant's on vacation this week, I just switched banks, bla bla bla...

That's called the lowballthenhemhaw swindle.

Bastards. :D

Tearing down anything during summer hours is mighty hot work. I worked seasonal for a construction/renovation company 2 summers ago. Except, I didn't get to do any of the 'renovation' part (understandably, as I'm not a skilled tradesman)-- my job was actually in the "destruction" part, ripping down walls, turning up lawns, pulling fences and flagstones... whatever they needed.

It's fun destroying things for a few days, and then when the heat gets to you, it loses its charm. $12/hr pays the bills, though, and right now I'm living below the poverty line so I'd jump at THAT chance.

Greg