Bolivian rosewood

I'm not 100% sure, but my first thought is no. There are many varieties of Rosewood and their colors can vary. Have you actually worked with the stuff before?

If it is cheap as you say, it may be worth an experiment. Come to think of it, if it's really cheap I'm interested in getting a chunk to experiment with to. Hmmmm....

Brazilian rosewood is a true rosewood. Bolivian is a not a true rosewood but it has some of the similar characteristics as rosewood. I have used Bolivian rosewood for acoustic guitar bodies and electric guitar necks. It also makes great fingerboards. As an acoutic wood it is more like maple than rosewood.

To be technical here is some information:

Brazilian Rosewood (Dalbergia nigra) is from Brazil aka: Rio or Bahia Rosewood

Bolivian (Santos, Pau Ferro, etc) Rosewood (Machaerium scleroxylon) is from Bolivia and Brazil aka: Morado

i have a chunk of bolivian rosewood, cost me $9 a bdf, it is quite heavy makes maple feel light to say the least, i like the looks of it better then brazilian and the piece i have has an amazin grain pattern totally unique and the color variation is great heres a pic or two

MzI

Wow MzI...

your Bolivian Rosewood is really fantastic.. good.. ^^

do you use rosewood for top?

i used that rosewood for my fret boards, the piece wasnt big enough for a top its only like 5" wide, how toxic is the dust i havent been wearin a mask or respirator but i havent been gettin a skin rashes or anything ive also been workin with black walnut at the same time and have had no problems

MzI