bandsaw help

MzI

well i have to stop workin on my V, i measured out my board to be resawn for the top, the board is 10 5/8" wide and i only have a 16" bandsaw, the widest board my saw can take is like 7 1/2". the absolute smallest i can make the board and still have it fit my V is 9" , are bandsaws even made that big i was thinkin bout callin some local cabinet shops too see if they have a band saw big enough even if i hafta pay like $20 or whatever it would be worth it, has anyone else had to deal with this problem or know of a specific type of wood worker that would have a large bandsaw

MzI

If you need to give the local cabinet maker a call they should have an industrial sized saw that will do the trick or if you have a table saw handy to run the sides down then you might be able to turn it sideways and use the bandsaw you have for the tail.

Thanx Brian,

i was looking thru the archives and saw the table saw method, my board is only like 3/4" thick and i dont really have the wood to waste and i dont have access to the ultra thin kerf saw blade so tomarrow after work ill b making some phone calls

MzI

there was another old thread on this way back, several people have used riser blocks in their saws to increase the height of the saw, then you just need to buy a longer blade.

Lex used some maple shims and he said they worked ok.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...wtopic=7516&hl=

his pics aren't still there but it works the same way as any bandsaw does, there's bolts that connect the lower and upper arms of the saw, simply put a hard block in there and use longer bolts if you have to.

I'm still trying to imagine what you are trying to do.

Are you trying to make a V with the grain the same direction on both the upper and lower wing?

I tried to do that with my V and then made the observation that on the 50's models that each wing of the V was cut so the the grain was this way \\\\\\\ on the upper wing and this way /////// on the lower wing. I was able to make both wings of my V that way with a much more skinny 6" to 7" wide board.

Would this work for you or is the horizontal grain part of your design?

pg4-shapedbodydone.jpg

im puttin a flamed maple top on it with the flame plattern goin horizontal if the guitar is standing on its wings, i already have the grain of the mahogany goin like on urs but i want the maple the other way and it works out to be roughly 18" wide give or take a lil

yes i hafta be difficult and make it harder on myself but thats the way i want the guitar to look so ill be making phone calls,

the only other problem with the saw is that the table is fixed so it cant be lowered or anything other wise id do that

MzI