Plexiglass sheets

bigdguitars

Look in your local phone book for glass installers or plate glass....These guys may have some cut-offs which may work perfectly for your purpose...It would be a lot cheaper also. You ought to use 3/8in plexi for your templates....it gives you more latitude when making plunge cuts.....you won't have to make spacer blocks and the template will be more durable.

You can cut plexi to sixe on your table saw......I like to put a masking tape along the line to be cut, so that any chipping is minimized. You can then use a router to cut your template to shape from there.....scroll saws would be good for cutting intricate patterns, but my guess is that the blade would wander around a bit with anything requiring a high degree of accuracy.

I used to work at a candy store for my friends mom and they had a tool and it was a strip of metal that got super heated and i used it to cut styrofoam, and plexiglass i will see if i can get you one it will set you back about 50 bucks though. Crap what was it called??? Chad

its called a 'hot wire'. but ive never seen one that can cut plexi. just foam.

they can be easily made with a Nickle wire i think and a 12v car battery charger. prolly less than 30$

but not for plexi

i used a dremel to cut mine (but it was probably thinner than what you need, i used mine for an xbox mod), but a dremel with a cutting disc is great for the strait lines, then a grinding disc to smooth out any round parts in it

i get all my plexiglass for my projects at my local surplus store, if you have one but they dont have any plexiglass, keep checking every now and then, surplus stores get new stuff in all the time

I'm a bit surprised by the answers of all of you guys who use high-speed equipment such as dremels and the like on plexi. I did work with Plexi once (tho not for guitars) and experienced serious melting issues. If you didn't have any problems with that, that's cool I don't want to sound like an expert...seems I've been doing something wrong then ;-)

A jigsaw with a special plastic blade will surely do the work and to work on the corners, you might want to choose a razorblade.

so long

ace

I've found a gread resource on various types of plastics and some of the tools and techniques you can use to cut and machine them. Not all plastics are created equal.

http://www.wps.on.ca/ThePlasticWorkshop/default.htm

CUTTING

Acrylic and Polycarbonate can be cut with a table saw.  Ensure you are using a carbide tipped blade with lots of teeth.  Note that for jig saws you should use special blades for plastic to avoid the material gumming up or reforming behind the blade.

DRILLING

Acrylic and Polycarbonate can be drilled.  One should use a drill bit made for plastic to avoid blowing out the hole when the bit pushes through.  Wood bits are angled at about 60 degrees - bits for plastic are angled at about 90 degrees.

CEMENTING

Acrylic and Polycarbonate require specialized cements.   There is water-like cements which allow you to bond material quickly but will require 24 hours to cure.  There is thickened cement to help fill in cracks or small holes.  

CLEANING

Acrylic requires special cleaners and polishes to ensure a long life.  Ammonia based cleaners will break down the material and that is why it usually crazes or yellows.

I'm a bit surprised by the answers of all of you guys who use high-speed equipment such as dremels and the like on plexi. I did work with Plexi once (tho not for guitars) and experienced serious melting issues. If you didn't have any problems with that, that's cool I don't want to sound like an expert...seems I've been doing something wrong then ;-)

A jigsaw with a special plastic blade will surely do the work and to work on the corners, you might want to choose a razorblade.

so long

ace

This is true, but unless you have the cheap dremel this tool is high and low speed. I use it all the time to cut plastic, just keep the rpm low. And unless you have a VARIAC or a variable speed routed keep it away from the plexi. A jigsaw with a fine tooth blade like the one for smooth cut on metals or a palstic blade will be better.. If you have access to a scroll saw and the speed is variable this will be your best bet.