Single pickup guitar

Due to a lack of funds i'm probably going to use a single humbucker for my first project and i was just wandering why a bridge pickup is so often used in solid body electric with only 1 pickup such as the junior epiphones? I've always thought the neck pickup is more widely used because of its warmer tone.

Thanks

Got to admit that I have no idea and I've never thought about it. Good question though.

That's the good thing about building your own axe, you could put the pup in the neck position. Hell you could even put it on the headstock if you're that way inclinded :D

I'm sure someone around here will know why, just not me - sorry dude

Because solidbodies are generally built to rock, not eat cheese and drink wine. :D It's just a matter of who the target audience is. For example, I've never seen a single pickup jazzbox where the pickup was located at the bridge. They're always at the neck because that's what jazz guys go for, usually. LP Jr's are intended for rock music so the higher output and brighter tone of the bridge pickup is what you want. In short, it's because when you have to make large production runs you have to go with what will sell the most. There's nothing saying you can't do a single humbucker at the neck if that's your thing, and it would be cool to see more solidbodies like that.

I have had that same kind of question - like all Fenders "fat strats" - HB in the Bridge pos...? Ok HBs have higher output so the signal level will be more balanced - ...? I would have prefered a high output singelcoil at the bridge and a HB at the neck. - Oh,- now I realize wy my own guitars allways are the best ones.... :D